picked one up two days ago- only runs with the air filter unclamped. mass air flow sensor?

Wolfgangwastl
20

Asked by Wolfgangwastl Jul 27, 2013 at 10:24 PM about the Volkswagen Cabriolet

judge_roy

depending on what year this car is....you need to get a fresh air filter...oil filter too~ perhaps you are suffering from a vacuum leak...the fuel pressure regulator...vacuum source....ambient air sensor IAT and block temp....radiator temp...O2 sensor...THE tps could be issuing errant signals...the ground connection to the battery might have "brown" power~

Hector Irizarry Duval
1,565

seems the filter is clogged, id give a full maintenance first...

Wolfgangwastl
20

1987- I am replacing any rubber under the hood (including vacuum lines) that is dry-rotted/ missing one by one. Also it takes 3 or 4 attempts to start it when cold - which points to the "cold start valve"?.....the problem is for me these parts are too expensive not to be sure about first....however once this baby warms up it is pretty impressive on performance! WOW is it fun to drive! :)

Hector Irizarry Duval
1,565

all the parts for k and ke jetronic injection are expensive. but a well maintained system is very fuel efficient and they have a very good response. the trick is to get to know the system very well since it does not have diagnosis so you have to try the parts the old way. trial and error...

judge_roy

ah yes...the thermo-time switch should be examined~

Wolfgangwastl
20

Thanks for all your help- while I was replacing the dry rotted hoses, etc. I found that the incoming fuel line going to the cold start valve was bent 90 degrees causing what looked like a 99% fuel restriction. I straightened it out, refastened it to the sidewall of the engine compartment and it made a 100% improvement- the car is awesome, I want to post the before pic now for you all and the "after" in a couple months when the restore is finished. I freekin love das auto! Wie fahr'n fahr'n fahr'n auf der Autobahn! :)

judge_roy

you really must treat yourself to some silicone vacuum lines....couple of airport cocktails and it's done~

judge_roy

that one was from summitracing.com here's one you can buy at advance auto~