can i get a skyline legal in the states?

Zachary Smith
5

Asked by Zachary Apr 24, 2009 at 01:17 AM about the Nissan Skyline

Sean Kelly
25

yes you can. you can actually get one for around $12-30k depending on the year but then youll be paying to have it flown over here and legalized on top of everything else anyway so it can drain your wallet quite fast. however owning one is unlike anything else as its a totally different machine than the infiniti g(the current jdm skyline) or the new gtr.

Kyle Clark
65

I recall hearing that you needed to import it and swap the VIN for a Maxima VIN when you import it, but I have a feeling that you'd only do that to circumvent other DMV hassles. Befriend someone at the DMV :)

Michael Dalton
35

in NZ we cant import skylines before 1997 models because they dont comply with frontal impact laws. not sure with states.

Fred McClelland
1,525

it will cost you at least 12k to just legalize it here and i dont think they even do that anymore after the whole Motorex fiasco. Your best bet is to find one for sale that already is legal. and for 12k you wont be getting a nice skyline at all it will be a R32 BEAT TO HELL! lol

Adam Morgan
3,635

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/CARS/RULES/IMPORT/graymarket_RI_list120508.pdf http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/CARS/RULES/IMPORT/elig050108.pdf Research NHTSA-2005-22654 I think there was a topic like this about 6 months ago or so, and I gave more detail, but if you REALLY want to import one you'll need to read this anyway. Make sure the undercarriage is cleaned BEFORE it is shipped...

Devin Woodworth
325

your best bet would be to import one that 95 or earlier, it will cost you a lot less to legalize. i dont know about the rest of the country, but anything thats 95 or earlier in mass doesnt need to pass emissions, which is most of the cost of legalizing a skyline. im pretty sure thats federal, but do your research. the only other thing thats gonna run you a lot is changing the car from right hand drive to left hand drive and as far as i know you dont hafta do that either, its just convenient