car starts then dies after a few seconds , what do I look for ?

robbyd714
20

Asked by robbyd714 Nov 21, 2010 at 08:44 PM about the 1995 Chevrolet Cavalier

after I started the car then it died the anti theft light on the dash was staying on blinking , then the car wouldn't turn over or anything till I unhooked the battery then hooked it back up then the same thing over and over  ,today I replaced ignition switch , now the car will start then die , but now I just turn the key off and the anti theft light goes out , but it still only runs for a few seconds . can anybody tell me what to do ?

Brandon Dodson
15

get your altenator tested, could also be a bad ground

robbyd714
20

Thanks ,I read about same problem and fixed it I just started the car it died I waitrd 10 minutes till the anti theft light quit blinking it just stayed on but now the car starts and runs fine , now I can take it and have a scanner run on the car and clear the computer. Again Thanks to everyone.

HYPESTER44
0

If your instrument cluster lights and or guages are not working properly, you probably need a instrument cluster like i did. After trying so many different things to fix the car, The instrument cluster fixed the starting and dying problems, the speedometer, the guages wasnt working all the time, light on the left and right of t he cluster wasnt working all the time. The security light goes out now after it starts. Dont forget to reprogram the instrument cluster !!! It will not work if you dont !!!