antithief sencor car won't start

pamcamacho
0

Asked by pamcamacho Oct 26, 2012 at 07:08 PM about the 1997 Chevrolet Malibu

tommcmanis
3,425

This is a transponder car if the key has been near a anti theft deactivator, like at a store key will need replaced. These cars also if the electrical system has been deenergized (ie) dead battery,service performed not by Chevrolet can activate the anti theft. GM indicated to me that reprogramming is occasionally needed.

14,855

No it isn't hasn't wasn't tom its not a Mercedes Benz!!!!! Orange security light on? http:// www.cargurus.com/ Cars/ Discussion-c3301_ds505015

tommcmanis
3,425

On the insturment cluster when ignition is on one should indicate security. And it is orange. I just worked on one of these. It is a bit difficult to diagnose a car I do not have in front of me. And if im not helpful I do appologize, the dealer may be more useful. Good luck.

14,855

Bro I'm just saying its a 97 Malibu it wasn't even $20,000 brand new. At $500 per transponder key (the one your referencing) that's a little crazy. You were trying to help I know but you have to understand that I get on here to help people by answering their questions and I have to read answers from other people talking about things that couldn't be further from the truth.

tommcmanis
3,425

And I understand there are alot of potato heads out there and back yarders that think they are an uber tech. I am not one of them.

Shavyonne Mills
60

I had a 2001, the theft system light use to shut my car down and I had it towed a few times and checked by chevy---they say it was ok. The fix until you can replace the sencor is to put the car key in turn it to accl (LET IT SIT LIKE THAT FOR 10MIN) WITHOUT TRYING TO START IT. IT WILL RESET IT, AND IT WILL START. I hated it, called it the 10min wait. Worked for me, but who knows I'm just a lady reading from the outside.

14,855

Shavyonne if you go to the link I put in one of my previous comments it will take you to a page where it explains what you are talking about, and you are correct.

tommcmanis
3,425

Helpful I'll make a note of it

Amber3278
0

We did the same thing suggested by Shavyonne above and it worked. Will keep a note of this if it happens in the future. Would it make any sense to check with our dealer to prevent this from happening again?