TO REBUILD OR BUY? ???

77cutlassS
20

Asked by 77cutlassS Mar 22, 2013 at 10:10 PM about the 1977 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme

Should I rebuild my 350 Turbo Transmission or
get one from the junkyard rebuilt? Please help

judge_roy

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CHEVY-th350-transmissions-rebuilt-/130867700533?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1e7852a335&vxp=mtr

judge_roy

try to match the age of the tranny to the age of the motor...brand new would mean you'd need to upgrade the motor too, fuel injection, solid state ignition...it never ends...so no don't buy new..doesn't make sense.

judge_roy

I'm the guy who gave you those ten points...you could give me ten and then I'd reach 6th place! in cargurus!

judge_roy

Thanks, you're alright!

Michael Tutty
4,365

If you plan on doing much driving, there is a much better solution. Get a 200R4 with the BOP bolt pattern, and have it rebuilt to handle the torque of your 350. This gives you both the locking torque converter and overdrive for a significant improvement in highway mileage. The 200R4 is also likely easier to find by now than a Turbo 350, too, and likely no more money as a rebuildable unit. If you want to stick with the 3 speed, just take the car to a GOOD transmission shop and have them rebuild the one that is there. This is likely the less expensive option, but will affect gas mileage significantly. It will bring the car back to what it was doing when new, but not any better.