2002 Impala passlock / security light problem

Trick2008
0

Asked by Trick2008 May 10, 2008 at 08:21 PM about the 2002 Chevrolet Impala

Is there a known repair for the security light/passlock problem that causes Impala and other GM products not to start for 10 to 30 minutes? If it's replacing the BCM at $500 that's fine, I just want to know that it will work. Thanks.

27,475

Does this have the PASSkey ignition system, with the little resistor button in the key, or does it have an RF chip in the head of the key which you can't see?

Paul Board
285

I wouldn't look at the BCM with passlock it could be a ignition issue or a the passlock cotrol module your gonna need a scan tool or you need to find the electrical values and ohm them out

Clay Whitney
145

I had the same problem with my impala and what i did was go in though the radio in the settings area and reset the FOB and the car started fine but i did have to get a new ignition put in the car not the BCM

Bill1271
90

I am having the same problme with my 2001 Impala LS. Unfortunately, this problem is not limited to Impalas nor Chevys, but is a GM wide issue. The first thing to try to replace is the ignition switch (not the whole ignition, just the electronics). It's a little pricey at the dealership, but for those that are technically inclined, the part is relatively inexpensive. If that does not solve the problem, the Body Control Module (BCM) will need to be replaced (500-600 dollars) and that will also need to be programmed at the dealer (or by any mechanic that has the proper equipment). Even after all that is done, it is only a temporary fix per se. GM in a Technical Service Bulletin to its dealerships admits that after replacing all the components of the PassLock 2 system, that the problem can recur. I have heard stories of it recurring within a year to 2 of the initial repairs. Anyway, time for me to find a new ignition switch and see if that is where my problem lies. Best of luck

JDtahoe
190

Here's the "fix" I just did for my 99 tahoe. Took the cover off the steering column, unplugged the sensor from the cylinder *while* the car was running. it's a 3 wire plug red w/ white, orange w/black and yellow. From then on, the car will always start and ignore the sensor. The only negative is the security light stays on. But, I plan to just remove the bulb. Replacing the BCM only postpones it from happening again. Check out the following links. As an electrical engineer, I also believe there is an inherent design flaw because there are too many issues reported. Good luck. http://car.justanswer.com/for/ce07-bypass-lock-sensor-1998-chevy-tahoe http://general-motors.pissedconsumer.com/gm-passlock-ii-system-has-major-inherent-design-flaws-20080502119601.html

You think this is helpful.
Justin Hatfield
2,675

Since this is a passlock and not a VATS system, you wont be able to do any ignition or key bypass with resisters like some might think. But you can get a module that will eliminate this problem FOREVER. Check out this link for info and DO IT YOURSELF solutions. This is a common problem on GM vehicles. I have been dealing with these systems for years. Through much trial and error i have found that BYPASSING these systems is alot more cost effective than trying to diagnose and fix them. The cost is too high and mechanics tend to replace as many things as they can before fixing it. Here is a link to educate and guide you in the right direction. This IS something you can fix yourself and once bypassed will NEVER be an issue again. http://vatspasslockpasskeysecurityhelp.yolasite.com/

You think this is helpful.
hategmsecurity
150

I took a 2002 impala to chevy dealer for no start condition (would start and run for about 1 second) dealer put a jumper wire in fuse box on side of dash ....connected (pcm) fuse and (bcm) fuse...car started and ran fine after that.

Ami Davis
205

what did you have to do through the radio to rest the FOB iam having the same problem but only after replacing the battery

Millertime94
180

Thank you!!!!! I changed the FOB Light setting to OFF and it started right up. Been having this issue intermittently for years. Haven't had it for more than 6 months and then today. Argggh! I was going to beat my car with a bat! Then I googled & found this post. The dealer thought I was just a stupid girl who didn't know what I was talking about and brushed me off because they couldn't duplicate the problem. They can suck it!!! Thank you. I love the Internet!

elprofe
150

good afternoon, excuse my ignorance that is, which is light or fob

rica781
100

i have a 2002 chevy impala my radio display lock. theres two locks on the door the one that says lock thats the one that opens up all the doors and the lock that opens up that only door i think the problem started by me locking the door the one that locks one door but the window was open and i open the door us and i heard a clicking noise on the passengers panel side then i tried using the lock button to stop the noise didnt work so then i tried to turn on car but it didnt turn on

56,805

"How to fix it" from Grand Am Owners Club - http://www.gaownersclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=139899