Will not shift into gear.

Glenda Kinney
20

Asked by Glenda Sep 12, 2012 at 08:26 PM about the 2008 Dodge Caliber

Car is in park and will not go into reverse or forward.

Michael McGrail
4,535

First, the car is started and you cannot physically move the lever into reverse or drive? Or does the transmission not shift into drive or reverse when you put them in gear? >Need clarity<

Chris McGee
2,755

On the Caliber the shifter gets a signal from the brake switch to open an actuator pin to shift the vehicle out of park, probably a bad brake/stop lamp switch

Glenda Kinney
20

Michael the shifter would move but the car would not go into gear. My husband got it to a garage today and it was the linkage. Seems this is a common problem with Calibers and Chrysler 300s. Funny thing when he called the dealership this morning they could not imagine what was wrong.

Michael McGrail
4,535

LOL.. Being so new (and an automatic).. I would have never thought the linkage either.. Prolly some stupid plastic clips. My cavalier was like that.. I replaced the shift linkage cables about every couple years (it was a stick though). Glad to hear the problem was a quick fix.