Fuel spill when filling up?

Landon Cahow
15

Asked by Landon Feb 22, 2010 at 09:55 AM about the 2004 Chevrolet TrailBlazer

I was wondering if anyone else seems to have the problem. Just about every time I fill up my 2004 TrailBlazer the fuel will shoot up out of the pipe and leak out slightly faster than the sensor on a typical fuel nozzle can shut the flow off. I've experienced in many different locations with different flow levels, obviously the faster one's leak more, close to a cup full at times. I've worked with the nozzle in putting it in further or backing it out more to see if it makes any difference with no consistent success, the only way I can assure it to not leak is to manually back off the flow when I hear it filling up the pipe.

Am I the only person with a TrailBlazer that can't seem to perform the most common and simplest of tasks?

kgill4
75

Our 03 TB does this too. Any time we put the latch on or hold it ourselves to keep the gas nozzle flowing when we fill it up, soon as it snap off gas gets in the area where you take off the gas cap. Same as you, doesn't matter how its held & happens at different places. Wouldn't mind if the gas wouldn't spill out onto the paint.

Gene475
20

Yes, from the day we got the car at least one cup of fuel spilled on every fillup. I complained about this problem and the dealer said it could not be fixed. I complained to the DOT and The DEC. Neither responded. This is a fire and enviornmental hazard that GM and the government have egnored.

Reyne Tallents
65

I have an 04, and it does it to me, too. I was researching the NSTSA for problem frequency, and found fuel issues are number two in amount of reported complaints (electrical is number one). Following is a partial copy of one complaint, this may shed some light on all our issues...(I never had to replace anything, but.....) Make: CHEVROLET Model: TRAILBLAZER Year: 2004 Complaint Number: 10318914 Summary: MY 2004 CHEVY TRAILBLAZER WILL NOT ACCEPT GASOLINE. I HAD A 1/4 TANK LEFT AND WENT TO A GAS STATION. TO MY SURPRISE THE VEHICLE WOULD NOT LET ME FILL THE TANK. I WAS FIRST TOLD THAT THE VENT MIGHT BE DIRTY THEN A CYLINDER IN THE GAS TANKS SYSTEM MIGHT HAVE FAILED. THE MECHANIC FOUND A BULLETIN THAT SAID I HAD TO REPLACE THE FUEL TANK FILLER UPPER PIPE AND LOWER HOSE BECAUSE OF VAPORS FILLING UP INSIDE. I PAID FOR GAS THAT ENDED UP ALL OVER THE GROUND INSTEAD OF IN MY TANK. I CALLED THE DEALER TO FIND OUT THAT A BULLETIN IS DIFFERENT THEN A RECALL SO THEY WERE NOT ENTITLED TO PAY FOR IT. THE BULLETIN SAYS THAT A SMALL AMOUNT OF FUEL MAY SPIT BACK OUT. WELL THAT IS A LIE. ALL THE FUEL IN THE 1/4 TANK SPILLED OUT ON THE GROUND

19james81
50

I have the same problem with a 2003. In researching this I found it is most likely the siloniod that operates a flap in side the tank. The only problem I am having now is finding a replacment siloniod.

trip65

know how many gallons your car holds and watch the pump when filling ,when you get close to capacity slow the flow of the gas with the pump handle , if you squeeze it a little only a little will come out allowing air in your tank to escape without spitting up gas . now that you know how to put gas in your car ,what will you do next.

kgill4
75

trip65--We've done this the majority of the time hoping it would help, doesn't stop the gas from spitting out when you're filling the tank. When you stop letting any gas flow in, if it's anywhere near being full (and that includes being a gallon or more shy of tank being completely filled), gas spits out. The only time it doesn't is if you're not filling the tank full or near full. Good idea though, maybe it'll help someone!

trip65

it sounds like maybe there is a kink or something blocking the vent hose which is the smaller hose right next to the fill hose ,if you can get a visual on the hose and make sure there are no kinks in it .

basamjy
0

I have a 2004 Buick Rainier (mechanical sister to the TB) and it does this every time I fell up. Help ?!

greenbc
50

Our 04 Trailblazer used to do the same thing. It would kick the gas pump off if you tried to pump the fuel in at a normal rate. It would also spill gas back out without being full. One day after spending 10 min to fill up the tank (had to pump real slow so the pump would stop kicking off) I decided to look at the gasket on the fuel cap. It looked as if it had normal wear, but we had never replaced it so I bout a new one for around 10 bucks at auto zone. Placed it on and ever since I never had the gas spill or pump cut off problem. I guess the old gas cap gasket was not allowing the fuel system to properly pressurize and allow the vent gases to circulate.