Noticable Tapping in Engine on Start-up

WBW
25

Asked by WBW Jan 12, 2008 at 09:01 AM about the 2007 Mercury Grand Marquis

When my 2007 Merc starts up, there is a noticable tapping that as the engine warms up, decreases in intensity. I believe there is a problem with a hydraulic lifter. i think the oil drains out of it or there is a blockage to the lifter.

This stated with about 10,000 mile on the car.

Has anyone had this problem or heard of it?

wbw

23,635

I have not heard of this problem in reference to '07 models, but your diagnosis sounds right. I would have this checked out under warranty. In the older Ford engines on the larger cars, there was sometimes a bit of piston slap on cold start-up. My '84 Lincoln always had this. A Ford tech and personal friend explained that the tolerances were a bit looser which allowed the pistons to "slap" a bit until the engine warmed up.

ryanj
345

on that car i would guess exhaust gasket or something on that order.tapping and ticking are fairly close.just an idea for you.

papa

lifter or fuelinjector ticking a little until oil fuel pressure builds up.

casper271
3,735

wouldn't you still have warranty on this car? If you do take it to them. you might have to leave it with the dealer over night so they can do a cold start in the morning, so they can hear it and see everything that might be an issue. best of luck and I hope this helps.