2004 Chevy Cavalier won't go into gear (any gear), but the shifter moves. I'm thinking linkage, but could use some expert advice.

Cap_Man2
0

Asked by Cap_Man2 Jan 28, 2012 at 10:02 AM about the 2004 Chevrolet Cavalier

Josh0718
125

If the shifter moves it would be the linkage

bmanvell
140

Usually it is the linkage at the transmission. the linkage cable will be located under the hood right under the brake booster. There is a plastic bushing that wears out and falls apart. Go to auto zone or any auto parts store and ask for Dorman help kit #14041. The kit will have five bushing in it and one will fit the 2004 cavalier. The easyest way to install it is to remove the shifter arm from the car. There is just one nut to take off and it is easy to get too. The right bushing will snap on the shaft a little hard. snap it on the shaft and then put the shaft and bushibg into the end on the cable. Be sure to clean out the cup on the end of the cable before installing. The shaft and bushing should snap into the end onf the cable easy. Now just reinstall the shifter arm and tighten the nut. EASY FIX