my 1989 firebird wont stay runing

anastasia1989
5

Asked by anastasia1989 Jan 15, 2013 at 07:38 AM about the 1989 Pontiac Firebird

put kye in turns over but dont want to stay running

DavidH25

OK anastasia, I (we) would love to help you but that kind of question needs a bit of elaboration. Does it crank over for a while and eventually start and run? When it does run, does it run smooth, or misfire.....do you have to have to pump the throttle? Any unusual noise? Anything you can tell us more?

anastasia1989
5

it will crank over for a while and run smooth no misfire.i do have to pump it to stay running.no unusual noise

trip65

check the fuel pressure.

anastasia1989
5

i give up. putting in a shop to fix it .thank all of you .i will let you know what happens .

DavidH25

anastasia I am truly sorry I couldn't be more help. David

DavidH25

PS please do that, let us know, good luck ....it might be a 29 cent part and $300 labor, which is not as ridiculous as that sounds

Alex S.
65

check the battery connectors, sometimes on older cars they oxidize turn green and do not work properly, also the one that attaches to car body (ground I think), I had 89 supra and it was shutting off for no apparent reason also, after I cleaned those connectors it fixed my problem.