How is this car performance on snow and ice?

krishan
25

Asked by krishan Feb 20, 2007 at 07:09 PM about the 2006 Chevrolet HHR

11,375

Hello, While I have not read any negative reviews of this car in bad weather, it is not going to give you the same performance as a 4WD vehicle. Its wheelbase, length, and width are much closer to that of a Cobalt than that of a TrailBlazer. In other words, it would have bad weather performance similar to any front-wheel drive sedan. Best of luck! CarGrrl

Buh Smith
375

One benefit of the HHR is that some (Most?) models come with traction control from the factory. It will help you launch in rain/snow/gravel. Of course, any vehicle on ice is scary at best so drive smart and keep your tires in good repair. The FWD should give you a leg up over RWD vehicles but I find it a minor bonus. Drive smart and you'll be just fine.

Bruce Walchuk
165

I guess it comes down to where you live, Adam. I'm in Northwestern Ontario, near the Manitoba Border. Two HHR pilots that I know have both invested in a second set of rims with snow tires on them (not 'all season' radials which are really just '3 season' tires, but actual 'snow boots.' While the outlay for the extra rims may seem expensive, it saves wear and tire on taking the tires on and off and the expense of having the tires mounted and balanced every fall and spring. Remember, every mile on the snow tires means a mile less on your summer tires, so the cost will darn near even out in the long term. I went through last winter without snow tires but am investing in a complete set this year. I've got ABS and traction control, but the HHR is pretty light and I find it's prone to slipping and sliding more than I'm used to. (Two cars back I was driving a Yukon 4 X 4 and snow tires greatly improved the handling and braking on that big tank as well).

Bruce Walchuk
165

I finally invested in a set of proper "ice and snow" winter tires for my '07 HHR this year. WOW. The difference in handling is outstanding.

Adrian Waite
75

I live in Canada, and believe me, it does pretty well.

Matthew Hayes
45

Very bad

anjy834u
2,555

i think the car gets roughed up under cold conditions. http://chevrolethhr.net/2011-pictures/

starfish
10

I rear ended someone this morning because my 2007 HHR would not stop going down a hill!!!! Yes, it was bad out, but in my mind, driveable!!! i'm getting snow tires on my car this week after this incident! I've slid at least 5 more times trying to stop today and this is a little concerning to me! my little Acura Integra I had handled much better than my HHR in the snow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Johanna Ambrogi
10

Same here -- I have a 2008 HHR, and it performs terribly in inclement weather. I still have the stock tires, and sometimes I can't get traction on a hill when it's raining! Driving home in yesterdays lovely sleet & snow mix was quite challenging. I think I need to get new tires...

Eddie Harper
0

My Chevrolet HHR is not what I imagined it would be in the snow. I have a steep driveway and even with studs it does not get up it. I also have an issue with it being turned sideways while creeping down the highway with high winds in the snow. I live in Upstate New York in the Rochester area and moved here from the west coast. I am familiar with snow and have owned quite a few awd vehicles and fwd vehicles. My poor hhr cannot handle day to day snow unfortunately and the cold weather is ruining all of my bushings and CV joints. I have to give it a 1 STAR rating. I'm moving up to a VOLVO XC90 this week and my other car is going bye bye.

Ryan Mendenhall
0

Thanks for all this information everyone. I had put a down payment on a HHR last night and Im to pick it up today, Im thinking about taking my money elsewhere since this is the vehichle they chose to push off on me after telling them I just got into a wreck with their Cabolt SS in the rain, it couldnt handle breaking on a curve on the interstate. I told them I was now affraid of tiny cars cause they cant handle weather nor can they protect me very well. The airbag saved me, but the airbag also caused all me body harm with chemical burns, if it did this to my skin, how about the amount I breathed in? Coffin cars!!!!