Try this again. I have a 1974 beetle with a alternator/with external regulator. I am replacing the engine that has a generator installed. How do I use the existing wiring for the generator?

steverk
10

Asked by steverk May 05, 2013 at 10:34 AM about the 1974 Volkswagen Beetle

The 1974 alternator has a 3 prong clip that has a DF, D+, and D- terminal which is connected to the external voltage regulator. The B+ is run to the battery. There is another wire on the B+ side, where it goes I am not sure.The generator appears to be wired similarly. I have another parts bug that used a generator that I can remove the voltage regulator from. Any way to wire this up?

judge_roy

under the backseat, there is a voltage regulator. why aren't we using this one?...oh yeah, are you are trying to use a one-wire replacement? The B+ and ground connection are the only ones we should be concerned with, the other wires should be ignored, if NOT using an external regulator- will have to make a/look at a drawing of the old system to make a schematic so we both can understand what to do with these extra wires-

judge_roy

DF= field coils D+ generator plus voltage D- =ground---a one wire lays waste to these---snip 'em...got it.

judge_roy

yes...the blue wire, okay connect your new alternator one wire output to the secondary of the voltage regulator, this should make the blue light come on under under-voltage conditions~....whew, got that one figured out...it kinda bugged me too...this simplicity is not without complications such as indication for non-functioning conditions...

steverk
10

This is the set up. So I use the B+(red/white) wire from the alternator connect to the D+ post on the generator. Then I use the DF(green) wire from the alternator to the DF post on the generator. The D-(brown) wire on the alternator becomes the ground on the generator. It will be best to replace the external Motorola regulator with the one for a generator.

judge_roy

wow...okay have not dealt with those...good work!~

steverk
10

Seems like it would work. Just changing wire locations and the voltage regulator to one that is common to the generator. I think the wiring form the regulator out should stay the same. I'll let you how it turns out. Any other opinions?

judge_roy

well DF=field coils (we definately don't need that) D+ sane as B+ You've got a "lineman's splice" into the B+, not quite sure how this will know that it has reduced fewer than 12.5 volts....think the ole voltage regulator had a reduced voltage blue light enabler...would make sense~ the field coils are not used with solid state, this voltage causes the pulses from the olde tyme coils, much like the old fashioned voltage regulators that GM would use a bank of three, ford two...back in the day...

Jmoler
10

I used a 71 Ford voltage regulator with my VW alternator. Way more dependable. Try this diagram.

Jmoler
10