Help please!!

ddevil
0

Asked by ddevil Jan 06, 2012 at 05:56 PM about the 1987 Dodge Ram Van

Ok guy's, I have an 1987 dodge ram van sportsman it has the standard 318 auto. I have had to replace the ignition starter switch twice, both times the van was starting fine then just stopped getting spark and this fixed it, now it is doing the same thing except I get one spark from coil when I turn key to start and one when releasing from start position. so I put a new switch on it , after new coil voltage reg and such, started right up.let it warm up turned off and restarted several times, no problem. whent out 30 minutes ltr, same thing one spark when engaging starter one when turning key back off. I would scrap the thing but it was my dads ( god rest him) fishing truck and want to make a fishing camper deal for myself. so if anyone can help I sure would appreaciate it, thanks

Sheps Plumbing
80

Ground problem

Graeme Eigner
135

have you replaced your ballast resistor, sometimes they get hot and fail eg you drive it for a half hour and the engine just stalls, now to start the engine your ingnition system bypasses the ballast resistor, and that can be why you get spark only when turning the key, a ballast resistor is simple to change and only about $15. Next time it acts up, pull the 2 plugs off the resistor and put them together and try to start it again, if it starts then replace the resistor,BUT DO NOT RUN IT FOR LONG WITHOUT THE RESISTOR.