broken fob

ATLvolvo
5

Asked by ATLvolvo Nov 01, 2011 at 11:03 AM about the 2001 Volvo S40

I recently purchased a used Volvo s40 and after two weeks the fob broke (it was already kinda cracked at the top and I think things got worse once I replaced its battery). My question: what is the best and most economical way to get a replacement FOB?

ATLvolvo
5

I answered my own question and so want to share the results. What think I really need is a replacement cover. Amazon had one [about $18 plus shipping but it wasn't a genuine Volvo part and so I was a bit wary] so instead I went to www.volvowholesaleparts.com and ordered the Volvo FOB cover for an S40 for $23.07 and a leather remote cover (so the damage doesn't happen again) for $5.71 plus shipping. They also sell the complete FOB remote for about $88 (you then have to take it to a dealer for programming) but since my remote works when I fiddle with a battery, it seems I don't need to replace the whole unit. I hope this helps someone... If all is not well after I get my items in the mail, I'll be sure to share that info.

venom5150
155

Hello, mine just broke last month and I got this. https://www.volvowholesaleparts.com/partlocator/index.cfm?action=AccessoryCatalog&catalogid=3197&siteid=213784&categoryID=96057&subcat1=96058 I have been using these guys for years. All OEM Volvo warehouse in TX. Towards the bottom of the page you will see it for $23.07