2004 Volvo S40 stuck in neutral

CLNmssy
10

Asked by CLNmssy Sep 22, 2012 at 07:58 PM about the 2004 Volvo S40

I have a 2004 Volvo S40 automatic transmission. Two days ago I accidentally spilled water onto the
shifter, but I have done this a number of times over the years with no consequences. The next day I went
to take it from park to drive, and it got stuck in neutral. I had to get it towed. The tow truck driver stuck
a screw driver in the small square box to the bottom left of the shifter. Within seconds he got the car into
drive. I drove it home and parked it. He theorized the water was the problem and it would take a few
days to dry out. Today I wanted to see if it had recovered. I attempted to take it from park to drive, but
it got stuck in neutral. After messing around with a screw driver, I was able to get it from neutral to drive
but never back past neutral into park. At present the car still has the keys in the ignition and is sort of
off but still in neutral.  Also the computer says "GEAR SERVICE REQUIRED".

CLNmssy
10

Figured I would update this post in case anyone else comes across it in a similar situation. Turns out the gear shaft (the panel where you move from Drive, Neutral, Reserve and Park) was COMPLETELY rusted out on the inside because I had spilled water down there for a number of years. Had to be completely replaced, cost me $400! Good luck