why is my check engine light on?

este
0

Asked by este Feb 24, 2007 at 12:50 AM about the 1999 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500

my 1999 dodge ram 1500 runs great, but yesterday my check engine light came on whats up?

bovan
9,570

Dear este-- There are a whole lot of reasons that the check engine light came on in your 1999 Dodge Ram. It is probably just a false positive. Maybe some air got into your fuel system when you got gas. As long as everything sounds okay, have it hooked up to a computer next time you are near your dealer. They will confirm that there is no problem and reset the warning light. But, and here is the kicker, it may actually indicate an engine problem- minor or serious. So, you can't completely ignore it. Have it checked as soon as you can. Good luck from Bovan.

Best Answer
Scott Young
125

your truck has OBDII which enables the codes to be read with a handheld scantool. these can be purchased at autozone or just take your truck to get an oil change (at least where i work at the grease spot) we can check that for free.