Just bought a 1987 Corvette. I have been concerned about the high temp while sitting in Traffic, and am EXTREMELY relieved to know it is normal to run at 230 in stopped traffice.

Stoneface11
0

Asked by Stoneface11 Sep 05, 2013 at 02:24 PM about the 1987 Chevrolet Corvette

So appreiciate the input of all you Corvette owners out there! I just bought my bucket list 1987!

Fordtudor37
3,235

Before you go to far I would recommend you go online to as many of the corvette forums you can and read as much as you can about your new arrival to the family. Get to know the beast and its operating "normal" before going too far. Being a former Corvette owner I know most garages including Chevy dealerships will see you as nothing more then a blank check when you walk in their door for service. Congratulations on your purchase.

85vett
0

Yes’ these’s engines run at a high temp. My 85 L98 cooling fan doesn’t turn on until it’s @226. My 85 has an addition fan located in the front before the radiator. This is an auxiliary fan that helps keep the engine cooler in hot weather while running A/C. I believe this fan will kick on @233 degrees. Make sure this fan is working and check the temp sensors, someone could have changed them out. What I have noticed is if you keep running at to high temp you will start having hoses, housings and radiator issues.