2000 Camry - Water Pump/Timing Belt

mwksu
270

Asked by mwksu Jan 30, 2008 at 02:43 PM about the 2000 Toyota Camry

2000 4cyl. Camry.
Driving on the interstate and it seems as though the water pump seized, breaking the timing belt.  I have heard some horror stories about the timing belt tearing up the engine when it goes.  I haven't begun to tear into it yet, but what are the chances I'll only have to change the belt and water pump?  Should I go ahead and start keeping an eye out for a used engine?  The mileage is around 145k, it's my girlfriends car & apparently both parts are still the original that came with the car.  I've never had to change a timing belt so I plan to get the Haynes, but is this something I'll be able to complete in a weekend?  Any info is appreciated! Just trying to get an idea of how deep I'm going to be in.

casper271
4,715

depends, I had one break a timing belt and the engine was fine, the other customer wasn't so lucky, I guess all you can do is take it apart and see. Best of luck.

29,515

Yes, it all depends. Depending on your mechanical ability and assuming no further damage you should be able to do this job in a weekend -- maybe 8 hours tops if all goes well. Just make sure you follow the directions in the Haynes manual while you are setting the timing since the engine is now out of time (if the timing belt truly broke).

mwksu
270

Ok, so is the 2000 4cyl engine an interference or non-interference engine? I was told that it was an interference engine, but when I was talking to my mechanic he insisted that it was a non-interference engine... I'm confused?

Gabe Harris
145

If the timing belt isn't entirely broken yet you shouldn't have to replace anything else. If the belt isn't broken at all you should still replace it. I replaced mine at about 90,000 miles. If the belts broken i would price out the damage because it might cost more than the value of the car to fix.

John Navert
180

This motor is an interference engine, meaning the valves extend into the travel path of the piston. Perform a compression check first to make sure all cylinders are sealing properly. If the compression is okay, get the pump, belt, and a timing belt component kit. This will save some possible problems in the future.

Carter Jackson
10

If the timing belt broke then how are you going to check compression without replacing the belt or removing the valve cover and loosening all the valves since the cam is no longer moving

episty
20

You'll have to manually rotate the camshaft to close the valves on every cylinder you do a compression check on.

David Filippone
75

ive seen this many times,you just have to take a shot at it buy replaceing the parts and hopping it starts,i wouldnt worry about the motor,toyota tech for 10 years

tomezak1234
120

The 4 cyl on at least the 1992-2001 Camrys is NON-interference.

joanie2929
30

mwksu, saw you gave a reply on a ques. about a toyota & you said you were a toyota tech for 10 years. do you know it the 2000 toyotal 4 cylinder camry engine is an interference or a non interference engine or not. pls. write if you can. thanks, joan beealive1@earthlink.net

slickrick777
20

If the timing belt broke or jumped the cam & crank is out of time & most likely wont have compression so it cant be checked by installing a compression gauge & cranking the engine over.. Have do do each cyld. with a leak down gauge. Piston TDC & all valves on that cyld. closed...R.B.

01bigjon
1,105

I've never herd of a Toyota tearing up the engine because Not the 23 years I worked there

01bigjon
1,105

Don't forget the seals,tension,belts,ck hoses