smart key not functioning on 2005 Prius

fitztennis
0

Asked by fitztennis Feb 04, 2010 at 05:10 PM about the 2005 Toyota Prius

My 2005 Prius was in a bodyshop for 6 weeks.  Just got it back and smartkey not working - unable to start ignition or lock/unlock doors.
Dealer wanted $40 - 80 to investigate, so I just spent $6 for new battery for key fob.  That did not solve the problem.  I have to physically put key in slot to start ignition.
anyone know of a solution?
thanks!

MGRabon
95

Most likely to keep from running the battery down (smartkey causes small 12v drain) the bodyshop turned it off with the switch located on the panel under the steering wheel marked 'smartkey, press the button one time.

dannygtrain
40

there is a KEY button below the steering wheel, under the dashboard. try that first. i hit mine accidentally and that was the only reason it wasn't working!!!!

ThePaz
35

Our 2008 Toyota Prius' 12 volt battery needed to be replaced. But since then we've been having difficulty getting the electronic key to work. We have already changed that battery too but it takes several times to get the car started. Is this a common problem with the Prius? Or am I doing something wrong?