What causes check engine and VSC lights to come on?

MaryO
745

Asked by MaryO Jun 03, 2013 at 12:04 PM about the 2005 Toyota Highlander

what causes vsc+check engine light to come on together

113,825

Have the codes scanned at a local auto parts store to pinpoint the problem. Post the code back here and we can help.

You think this is helpful.
MaryO
745

I went to the local Auto Zone in town and they helped with the check engine light but said their scan was not sophisticated enough to scan for the Vsc light. At any rate they provided PO446,Po455 and PO441. The probable causes were listed anywhere from loose gas cap to evaporative emission system, evap.canister or hose not connected , vacuum leak at engine,purse or solenoid defective and oh, yes, vacuum leak at engine.. I don't think I can handle all of that, for sure. Before I posted my question I had reset the check engine light, it blinked =, went off, Great, but when I started the car again, it shone brightly along with the light.VSC, I hate to have to bring this to a mechanic as I always feel when one sees an older woman , I don't know if I'm getting a fair shake. BTW, thank you so much for your prompt response.

You think this is helpful.
113,825

All those codes are related to a EVAP and or vacuum leak. Try the cheapest fix and purchase a new gas cap and see if the light goes out in a day or 2.

You think this is helpful.
Kchall
480

My mom also has a 2005 highlander. She had the same problem with these two lights (vcs & check engine) and when she took it in it was just that the throttle fuse needed to be replaced & they tightened the battery cables. The Toyota deal ship didn't even charge for doing this.

Shawntele Lewis
1,600

My check engine light is on and vsc light is too. I put my car in drive and my car barely even moves

Trdguin
230

I had Autozone scan mine and code p0505 came u

You think this is helpful.
Stillsearching
580

I went to Auto Zone as well. With the VSC, engine, and loss of traction lights all staying on. They got a code. Advised to change accelerator pedal assembly. Did that all lights went off, until I went through a water puddle. (Which is how this problem started.) Now all the lights are back on and Im out 150 dollars. Could it be the tire sensors?

You think this is helpful.
Anupam Bhomia
330

I had the traction light, the VSC light, and the check engine light all come in at the same time....after reading this blog I tighten my gas cap....restarted the car engine, and the lights went right away

Craig Bialy
220

I have had this issue from day 1 with my Toyota RAV. It has been a major pain from the day I bought it to the present. I have contact the dealership and the corporate offices and they are all very nice but these lights appears far too often. I do not like driving a car with three warning lights showing. I also will definitely not purchase another car from the dealership and probably not get another Toyota. The issues stated from Toyota are numerous, but not life threatening. The question is why should all of these lights come up for something minor? Toyota get your act together. I have been very disappointed with them.

notacarguru
170

Not sure how old this thread is, but I have to thank all the posters - i went and checked my 2007 highlander's gas cap, and sure enough, it wasn't screwed on. Filled up in NJ over the weekend, and the attendant was so rushed he did not screw it on at all.

SIdd
640

I was on my way for a trip when I was going downhill and the VSC light comes up followed by the engine light. I was able to drive to my destination. I went to pepboys. They check the computer onboard which sent the 0 Error code that means there is nothing problematic and at the same time both the lights went off. I was glad. Then I started my trip back to home. Again there was a steep downhill and I was going 55 mph which was not fast on a 70 mph hwy and again going downhill these engine lights went ON. Any ideas?

You think this is helpful.
Dime Piece Thomas
140

Code 120

Wendy Tucker
460

I too had my 2007 sienna VSC and check engine and TRAC lights come on today and remained on tried a few of your suggestions..some worled for a moment but then the lights came back on..What could it be?? Dont want to spend a fortune trying to figure out the problem then pay to fix it!

You think this is helpful.
Joel Cruz
10

MI TOYOTA RAV4 2009 ENCENDIO LA LUZ VSC, AL APAGAR EL MOTOR TAMBIEN SE APAGABA LA LUZ VSC LA LLEVE AL MECANICO RESETEARON EL SENSOR DEL GUIA Y NO HA ENCENDIDO MAS LA LUZ VSC

Science2501
140

My last 5 cars have been Toyota and have never had a problem other than the normal issues (Batteries, brake pads, etc.). On the way to work this AM my Engine, VSC, and TRAC lights all came on. Everything was running fine, I stopped and turned it off, checked all the belts, everything was fine. I then checked the oil... it was "just" touching the bottom of the dipstick (about a quart and a half low I'm guessing). I went home, put a quart in, and the lights went off. BTW, I'm driving a 2004 Toyota Highlander with 180k miles, it runs like new and still looks new. I'm sure, just like anything, you can find a bad car (Toyota) once in a while but overall, in my experience, you cannot find a better car on the road (as far as dependability).

Momech Technician
60

by replacing the manifold

Momech Technician
60

the mass airflow sensor / intake air temperature sensor or one in the same this code will

toyo1234
115

I had all 3 lights turn on at once. After reading this blog I put some 3-in-1 oil on the gas cap gasket. Restarted the car and the check engine, VSC and TRAC lights all went out. I checked the engine with my OBD tool and had no codes. So because your gap is not seating correctly your Stability Control and traction control turns off so you can skid right off the highway. Make sense to me?!?

You think this is helpful.
Shrksgrl8
70

I had a full 120,000 mile tune up. Two weeks later the VSC, Check Engine and TRAC Off lights came on. Now I hear a "chirp" every time I start the car when it is cold. The mechanic I went to no longer has the shop and I'm at a loss of what the next step should be. I hate that I will have to pay someone AGAIN to correct an issue that resulted from the tune up!

Liam Kennedy
10

Just had $500 of work done at a local pep-boys on my Toyota 4- Runner.. and the next day both the check engine and vtrac lights come on. Although I knew check-engine can be because of the gas cap being off - I just did not think there was any reason for it to be off. Turns out that was it. I can't think of any legitimate reason why pep boys needed to unscrew the cap. Maybe they wanted me to come back in and "fix something"?

SIdd
640

I spoke to couple of ppl, they said VSC and engine light comes on when there is a fluid imbalance or some sensor got disturbed. I found out that while going downhill and driving continuous more than hour cause the VSC and engine light to come on. I went to show the pepboys, I told them you guys checked everything and the next day the lights come on. he gave me some reasons why they are coming on and remove those lights. It is been 3 months I have been driving and nothing comes on because I don't drive more than an hour continuous and downhill comes once in a while on long drives out of state.

DINOKOS
10

I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM WITH MY DAUGHTERS 2007 SOLARA. BUT I SHOW A CODE PO354 WHICH IS A #4 IGNITER, I CONFIRMED THIS BY PULLING OFF THE CONNECTOR AND THE ENGINE WAS STILL RUNNING ROUGH. BUT I BELIEVE WHEN YOU HAVE AN ENGINE CODE IT WILL AFFECT THE TRAC AND VSC BECAUSE THE ENGINE IS NOT OPERATING AT PEAK PERFORMANCE AND THE VSC AND TRAC CONTROL ENGINE POWER WHEN IT IS NEEDED.

choice01
10

I had a similar problem with a Tarago, my dealer said it was because we had used the wrong oil and the engine needed a complete reflush which would cost $8000!!! Took to another mechanic who replaced oil and solved problem initially, but then it returned. Car not used for 18 months, on restart have had numerous problems. Maybe the reflush will fix it, but not willing to pay $8k

Toy2007
50

2007 highlander check engine light and VSC have illuminated twice. Both times it was the gas cap not getting screwed on past the "one click" you should hear. (darn kids!) I screwed the cap past the one click, but that does not make the dash light disappear. To make the dash lights disappear and reset, I disconnected the battery for 5 seconds. Presto, all is well.

Mayberry_gal
10

Went to Autozone today, and even though the website and the ad on the door indicates that they will read the error codes they refused. Autozone said they will no longer read codes in California

TexToyota
20

Same issue: Engine check light + VSC + Trac Off on 2006 Toyota Sienna. So I put a little Vaseline on the gas cap O-Ring and presto, no more warning lights. Thanks everyone.

bbailey98
40

My son told me to make sure that the gas cap was on tightly and then disconnect the battery cable. Count to 30 and reconnect the cable. That did it! However once you do that you will have to reset the automatic window switches so the windows open and close properly!

DeeDee44
10

Engine check light+VSC+Trac Off on 2006 Lexus IS250. Call Lexus Dealership @ 8:30 am, no return call. But I have followed advice and open gas cap and re-tighten and lights went off. Thanks all you the information.