What causes check engine and VSC lights to come on?

MaryO
565

Asked by MaryO Jun 03, 2013 at 12:04 PM about the 2005 Toyota Highlander

what causes vsc+check engine light to come on together

103,105

Have the codes scanned at a local auto parts store to pinpoint the problem. Post the code back here and we can help.

You think this is helpful.
MaryO
565

I went to the local Auto Zone in town and they helped with the check engine light but said their scan was not sophisticated enough to scan for the Vsc light. At any rate they provided PO446,Po455 and PO441. The probable causes were listed anywhere from loose gas cap to evaporative emission system, evap.canister or hose not connected , vacuum leak at engine,purse or solenoid defective and oh, yes, vacuum leak at engine.. I don't think I can handle all of that, for sure. Before I posted my question I had reset the check engine light, it blinked =, went off, Great, but when I started the car again, it shone brightly along with the light.VSC, I hate to have to bring this to a mechanic as I always feel when one sees an older woman , I don't know if I'm getting a fair shake. BTW, thank you so much for your prompt response.

You think this is helpful.
103,105

All those codes are related to a EVAP and or vacuum leak. Try the cheapest fix and purchase a new gas cap and see if the light goes out in a day or 2.

Kchall
370

My mom also has a 2005 highlander. She had the same problem with these two lights (vcs & check engine) and when she took it in it was just that the throttle fuse needed to be replaced & they tightened the battery cables. The Toyota deal ship didn't even charge for doing this.

Shawntele Lewis
1,120

My check engine light is on and vsc light is too. I put my car in drive and my car barely even moves

Trdguin
120

I had Autozone scan mine and code p0505 came u

Stillsearching
420

I went to Auto Zone as well. With the VSC, engine, and loss of traction lights all staying on. They got a code. Advised to change accelerator pedal assembly. Did that all lights went off, until I went through a water puddle. (Which is how this problem started.) Now all the lights are back on and Im out 150 dollars. Could it be the tire sensors?

You think this is helpful.
Anupam Bhomia
170

I had the traction light, the VSC light, and the check engine light all come in at the same time....after reading this blog I tighten my gas cap....restarted the car engine, and the lights went right away

Craig Bialy
190

I have had this issue from day 1 with my Toyota RAV. It has been a major pain from the day I bought it to the present. I have contact the dealership and the corporate offices and they are all very nice but these lights appears far too often. I do not like driving a car with three warning lights showing. I also will definitely not purchase another car from the dealership and probably not get another Toyota. The issues stated from Toyota are numerous, but not life threatening. The question is why should all of these lights come up for something minor? Toyota get your act together. I have been very disappointed with them.

notacarguru
130

Not sure how old this thread is, but I have to thank all the posters - i went and checked my 2007 highlander's gas cap, and sure enough, it wasn't screwed on. Filled up in NJ over the weekend, and the attendant was so rushed he did not screw it on at all.

SIdd
250

I was on my way for a trip when I was going downhill and the VSC light comes up followed by the engine light. I was able to drive to my destination. I went to pepboys. They check the computer onboard which sent the 0 Error code that means there is nothing problematic and at the same time both the lights went off. I was glad. Then I started my trip back to home. Again there was a steep downhill and I was going 55 mph which was not fast on a 70 mph hwy and again going downhill these engine lights went ON. Any ideas?

You think this is helpful.
Dime Piece Thomas
70

Code 120

Wendy Tucker
120

I too had my 2007 sienna VSC and check engine and TRAC lights come on today and remained on tried a few of your suggestions..some worled for a moment but then the lights came back on..What could it be?? Dont want to spend a fortune trying to figure out the problem then pay to fix it!

Joel Cruz
0

MI TOYOTA RAV4 2009 ENCENDIO LA LUZ VSC, AL APAGAR EL MOTOR TAMBIEN SE APAGABA LA LUZ VSC LA LLEVE AL MECANICO RESETEARON EL SENSOR DEL GUIA Y NO HA ENCENDIDO MAS LA LUZ VSC

Science2501
30

My last 5 cars have been Toyota and have never had a problem other than the normal issues (Batteries, brake pads, etc.). On the way to work this AM my Engine, VSC, and TRAC lights all came on. Everything was running fine, I stopped and turned it off, checked all the belts, everything was fine. I then checked the oil... it was "just" touching the bottom of the dipstick (about a quart and a half low I'm guessing). I went home, put a quart in, and the lights went off. BTW, I'm driving a 2004 Toyota Highlander with 180k miles, it runs like new and still looks new. I'm sure, just like anything, you can find a bad car (Toyota) once in a while but overall, in my experience, you cannot find a better car on the road (as far as dependability).

Momech Technician
20

by replacing the manifold

Momech Technician
20

the mass airflow sensor / intake air temperature sensor or one in the same this code will

toyo1234
55

I had all 3 lights turn on at once. After reading this blog I put some 3-in-1 oil on the gas cap gasket. Restarted the car and the check engine, VSC and TRAC lights all went out. I checked the engine with my OBD tool and had no codes. So because your gap is not seating correctly your Stability Control and traction control turns off so you can skid right off the highway. Make sense to me?!?

Shrksgrl8
0

I had a full 120,000 mile tune up. Two weeks later the VSC, Check Engine and TRAC Off lights came on. Now I hear a "chirp" every time I start the car when it is cold. The mechanic I went to no longer has the shop and I'm at a loss of what the next step should be. I hate that I will have to pay someone AGAIN to correct an issue that resulted from the tune up!