What causes check engine and VSC lights to come on?

MaryO
395

Asked by MaryO Jun 03, 2013 at 12:04 PM about the 2005 Toyota Highlander

what causes vsc+check engine light to come on together

90,785

Have the codes scanned at a local auto parts store to pinpoint the problem. Post the code back here and we can help.

MaryO
395

I went to the local Auto Zone in town and they helped with the check engine light but said their scan was not sophisticated enough to scan for the Vsc light. At any rate they provided PO446,Po455 and PO441. The probable causes were listed anywhere from loose gas cap to evaporative emission system, evap.canister or hose not connected , vacuum leak at engine,purse or solenoid defective and oh, yes, vacuum leak at engine.. I don't think I can handle all of that, for sure. Before I posted my question I had reset the check engine light, it blinked =, went off, Great, but when I started the car again, it shone brightly along with the light.VSC, I hate to have to bring this to a mechanic as I always feel when one sees an older woman , I don't know if I'm getting a fair shake. BTW, thank you so much for your prompt response.

90,785

All those codes are related to a EVAP and or vacuum leak. Try the cheapest fix and purchase a new gas cap and see if the light goes out in a day or 2.

Kchall
280

My mom also has a 2005 highlander. She had the same problem with these two lights (vcs & check engine) and when she took it in it was just that the throttle fuse needed to be replaced & they tightened the battery cables. The Toyota deal ship didn't even charge for doing this.

Shawntele Lewis
710

My check engine light is on and vsc light is too. I put my car in drive and my car barely even moves

Trdguin
80

I had Autozone scan mine and code p0505 came u

Stillsearching
180

I went to Auto Zone as well. With the VSC, engine, and loss of traction lights all staying on. They got a code. Advised to change accelerator pedal assembly. Did that all lights went off, until I went through a water puddle. (Which is how this problem started.) Now all the lights are back on and Im out 150 dollars. Could it be the tire sensors?

You think this is helpful.
Anupam Bhomia
120

I had the traction light, the VSC light, and the check engine light all come in at the same time....after reading this blog I tighten my gas cap....restarted the car engine, and the lights went right away

Craig Bialy
130

I have had this issue from day 1 with my Toyota RAV. It has been a major pain from the day I bought it to the present. I have contact the dealership and the corporate offices and they are all very nice but these lights appears far too often. I do not like driving a car with three warning lights showing. I also will definitely not purchase another car from the dealership and probably not get another Toyota. The issues stated from Toyota are numerous, but not life threatening. The question is why should all of these lights come up for something minor? Toyota get your act together. I have been very disappointed with them.

notacarguru
80

Not sure how old this thread is, but I have to thank all the posters - i went and checked my 2007 highlander's gas cap, and sure enough, it wasn't screwed on. Filled up in NJ over the weekend, and the attendant was so rushed he did not screw it on at all.

SIdd
10

I was on my way for a trip when I was going downhill and the VSC light comes up followed by the engine light. I was able to drive to my destination. I went to pepboys. They check the computer onboard which sent the 0 Error code that means there is nothing problematic and at the same time both the lights went off. I was glad. Then I started my trip back to home. Again there was a steep downhill and I was going 55 mph which was not fast on a 70 mph hwy and again going downhill these engine lights went ON. Any ideas?

Dime Piece Thomas
0

Code 120