how do i remove the bolt from harmonic balancer of my 80 bronco

CCO_Mike
0

Asked by CCO_Mike Jan 06, 2007 at 03:44 PM about the 1980 Ford Bronco

how do i remove the bolt from harmonic balancer of my 80 bronco, I can't keep it from rotating.

11,415

Hello, I have been trying to hunt down this answer for you, but have been unable to find it as of yet. I would recommend buying a Haynes or Chiltons manual. You can purchase one used at eBay for a very small amount of money. Here is a link to get you started: http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?sofocus=bs&sbrftog=1&from=R10&submitsearch=Search&satitle=1980+bronco+manual&sacat=-1%26catref%3DC6&fmmk=&fmmd=&fylo=&fyhi=&mppfqy=1980+bronco+manual&sargn=-1%26saslc%3D2&sadis=200&fpos=02129&ftrt=1&ftrv=1&saprclo=&saprchi=&fsop=1%26fsoo%3D1&coaction=compare&copagenum=1&coentrypage=search Best of luck! CarGrrl

Anonymous
0

To remove the harmonic balancer bolt on an 80 model bronco get a one inch socket and an impact and zip it off.

Corollanut
565

In the shadetree mechanic style I have sometimes had to go as far as locking a set of vice grips on the pulley if there is room and then taking a boxend wrench and putting over the end where hopefully you can turn the pulley til the wrench touches the frame to keep it from turning when you try to take the nut off. Sometimes if you don't have an impact wrench available you can use a hammer (carefully) to tap the wrench in the direction to loosen it. Use a quick sharp tap and it should break loose. Be careful not to let the wrench get off sides or you may break the bolt. I have also seen people put a long wrench on that will butt against the frame or something and then bump the starter to break it loose.

Branden Perry
10

there is a small piece of sheet metal w about 5 bolts covering the flywheel. remove that and put a screw driver through one of the SMALL holes and brace it against the block. that will keep it from spinning.

papa

please ignor last post,their are 2 old school ways to remove the HB bolt,1 if you have acc to a compressor use a air gun on it with a BLACK SOCKET,not the chrome plated ones.2 use a pry bar with socket,the bolt turns counter clock wise to looster,place pry bar under frame or any thick iron on vehicle on drivers side,under it,bump motor over dont crank just bump it over,bolt is loose and you can now ratchet it off,use 3 prong puller to remove HB,their is a half moon like spacer on crank in a grove dont loose this,it keeps the HB from free spinning on crank.

William Baldwin
105

ok ill tell ya BUT BE CAREFULL! disable ignition(unplug ign. coil) fit correct socket to bolt, with good breaker bar;position breaker bar a few inches above DRIVERS side frame rail (engine will rotate clockwise if viewed from front)engage the starter,breaker bar will slam into frame rail and break bolt loose. IF YOU ARE NOT CAREFULL,you can destroy the radiator!consider removing radiator before trying this. it is the "nuclear option" but it works real good be carefull, good luck,

papa

just what i said,but you right above frame.