I have driven a 5-speed 1998 Audi A4 2.8. How much differnt is the standard 5-speed than the automatic?

baseballtobias13
0

Asked by baseballtobias13 Feb 24, 2007 at 01:15 AM about the 1998 Audi A4

The 1998 Audi A4 2.8 5-speed was so much fun to drive. The shifting was great and smooth. How much different is it from the automatic version?

10,415

Hello, Manual vs. automatic is really a matter of preference. In my humble opinion, the manual is a much more fun car to drive. If you live in an urban area, the automatic may seem just as fun, because you are no longer needing to hit the clutch and shift every three seconds. The A4's are nice because both automatic and standard transmissions give the feeling of sportiness and comfort. The manual is probably more fun to drive, but the automatic wouldn't be a bore either. Best of luck! CarGrrl

Since59
145

If memory servesme correctly the A$ automatic comes with a manual feature. Audi/VW did a very good job developing the manumatic transmission. However, a true manual transmission will get the most out of this sweet V6. While the 2.8 doesn't really enjoy high revs it's a very good natured engine that will gladly cruise at high speed. The automatic will remove you somewhat from the "total" connection you'll have with the car and your gas mileage will never be as good as with a manual transmission.

James III
165

In an automatic, you don't have to shift it with your hands. There's no clutch. In a manual, the ride is subject to the driver. There is a clutch. I can draw a diagram if you need me to.