Transmission problems

melodyb78
25

Asked by melodyb78 Mar 23, 2008 at 11:22 PM about the 2001 Toyota RAV4

If you are experiencing transmission problems on this vehicle and want to help us in a class action suit against Toyota, please contact me at melodyb78@comcast.net. We would  only need a name and a testimonial to your experience on these faulty vehicles.

Thanks!

papa

we do not do that.

DODGE426
200

My wife bought a 2002 rav 4 new, has maintained like a baby. Just yesterday with described problems in many,many websites. TRANNY banging in to reverse, with slipage in 1st & 2nd gear. Been told ECM should be coverd under warranty ( less than 80,000 miles) Any info how to handle service manager if it's not covered. Thanks Darin.

usedriceburner
100

Transmission Shifting Problems are with 2001-2003 model Toyota RAV4. It is(ECU Related) and starts around 80000 miles. You have to replace ECU or it will destoy transmission. The dealer will charge you alot. Solution - order ECM and replace it yourself $400. Its located under glove box on fire walls, plugs in. http://www.used-rav4.com Thanks, Mike

Joseph Borello
75

as a service advisor at a Toyota dealer, 2001-2003 have a tsb (technical service bulletin) stating if the car is shifting hard between gears, it states to replace the ecu (electronic control unit as a first step), covered under the emmissions warranty for 8 years or 130, 000 km (canadian vehicles), if it does not correct the issue you may need a new transmission which is only covered for the balance of the powertrain warranty 5 yrs of 100,000 km, or if you have ecp (extended warranty from Toyota). I have only seen about a dozen of these vehicles and sometimes the ECU replacement fixes the problem....

mariah
60

I own a 2001 Toyota Rav4 for the past 7 years and recently I started experiencing trouble with the transmission. I took it to the Toyota Dealer and they explained how I no longer have warranty, because in 2008 they had taken care of the recall problem. I took it to my Aamaco Transmission specialist who informed me that the damage to the transmission was due to the computer and not my driving (My car only has 65,000 miles). I had to pay over $3,700 for a new computer and to rebuid the transmission. I am upset that this money had to come out of my pocket when it was a problem with the computer. Please include me in the class action suit against Toyota Rav4, as I would like to have my money reimburst. Your attention to this matter is greaty appreciated. Melissa.

jml12345
1,285

you got think of somethin more then a bad tranny for a few reasons. 1: its 9 years old, 2: its considered old, 3:was there a recall on that, 4: we dont know how you drive or what you do to it, and 5: the cost of the next years models may go up and more crap that we dont need gets added on. some people (i'm not saying you) should shut up and use their heads instead of jumping the gun and do lawsuits.

Pete0561
195

You all should know that Toyota is now extending their warranty, specifically on these cases with 2001, 2002 and 2003 RAV4's with automatic transmission harsh shifting problems. They extended the warranty for 10 years or 150,000 miles, whichever comes first, and will cover both the transmission and the ecm computer. I heard that they did it after some pressure from California's government, but extended it to all the USA. I had the bad luck that mine was around 162,000 miles, so no warranty extension applied to me and I was in need of a new ecm computer to fix this problem. Luckily enough, I fixed it by sending it to an aftermarket ecm repair Company for an affordable price (http://www.OtherDeal.com - $197.00) and after driving about 1000 miles since the repair was done, I can tell that the problem is gone for good. Toyota is not covering ALL the 2001 - 2003 RAV4 vehicles with this problem, as the friend who recommended me the service I paid, had the same situation and though his car was less than 150,000 miles, the dealer told him that it doesn't cover cars with some letter in some location in the VIN number. I do not remember what letter and in what position in the VIN number, but you will easily find out by calling to your local Toyota dealer. I guess that the letter must have something to do with the location of the manufacturing plant of that specific ecm computer. It is a pity, as Toyota knew it all the time and did not took action until today, but limiting the span of such action, as as mentioned, it depends on the VIN number and will not cover if the vehicle is outside the USA, even if it has the same problem, which in first place, was a manufacture problem. Just my 2 cents here. Regards, Pete

richs
40

I just paid $4500 to have my transmission rebuilt and ECU replaced on my 2002 Rav4 2WD with only 91,000 miles - very disappointing!

SherC
20

You may be covered under the recently extended warranty (I believe it's 10 years or 100,000 miles). I had my transmission replaced in 2008 due to the ECU problem and just received my refund in the mail from Toyota. Good luck.

ssspts5223
30

I have 04 w/same problem,Toyota refuses to offer anything.Walt

silent
40

I have a 2007 corolla ce and the mechanic at AAMCO is telling me that he gets the Rav4 and the corolla all the time. He says they have the same problem (transmission) and Toyota is well aware of this issuse, but has been in denial. He says it starts from a problem with the computer which triggers the problem with he transmission. My name is Miller Peoples and my E-mail is mpless1@verizon.net. I'm being quoted a price of 4000.00 dollars! My warrenty is over so this would be out of pocket.

dixits93
160

I don't know if this lawsuit has progressed, but we own a 2002 Rav4 and started having this exact problem with shifting gears this week. As expected, Toyota is very un-responsive. They want us to replace the entire transmission for ~$8000 (with the computer). Does anyone know if the warranty is really extended to 150000 miles (or 10 years)?

sonic1115
40

Your comment is awaiting moderation. Friday, April 29, 2011 at 9:37 pm called toyota’s customer experience center (800-331-4331) on monday and spoke with rachel. she’s very knowledgeable about my concerns. i mentioned to her a ny times article about this issue (http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/02/18/toyota-owners-complain-this-time-about-the-rav4/) and she opened up a case number for me. you need to get your mileage and vin# ready. she mentioned that toyota have an “enhanced” warranty to the ecm and transmission and there are 6 codes that they are looking for and if one of those codes comes up on the diagnosis then i’m covered. so the next day i took my 2002 rav4 to the local dealer here in san diego. i told the service agent that i replaced the o2 sensor the day before and i did not reset the check engine light on purpose and i think i mentioned the obd code of p0161 to him. after an hour he came back to me and he said that there are 2 codes that the computer diagnosed and they were p0775 and p0161. i told him the p0161 is for the o2 sensor. he said it will cost me $211 for them to test drive it to actually pinpoint between the 2 codes that is causing the problem with the transmission, the stalling and sometimes lack of power. i called toyota and the lady i spoke with does not have a clue. so i just told the mechanic that i will just take my car home and have my mechanic replaced the pressure control selonoid (for code p0775). after waiting for another 40 minutes the service agent came to me and he said that the mechanic did more test and found out the ecm needs to be replace and that i am 100% covered. so, if you are experiencing any problems with your rav4 as mentioned above, call the 800 number. ps: rachel at toyota's customer experience center mentioned that the warranty was "enhanced" to 150k/10years.

TeLynnB
30

Back in August 2010 took my 2002 Rav4 into the dealer to check engine light on & "slippage" I was feeling in the transmission. I had received the notice about the ECM. Dealership said they would check and if it was the ECM there would be no charge and it would be replaced. Came back and said "The Codes showed it was a canister hose leaking not the ECM" issue but recommended transmission flush, etc. which I did. The Canister hose replacement would be $400+ for a $125.00 hose. I had them on other occaisions prior to this look at the engine light being on and it was always said to be the gas cap issue. Took it to another mechanbis who checked and could not find any hose leakage or breakdown. The this week, with 79,900 miles...the slippage started again and when the mecanic drove it sounded like the transission would fall apart!!! AM FURIOUS that, after researching this site and others, that Toyota knew how bad this issue was and did'nt investigate my complaint further back in August!!! Am now on hold whether to go ahead and take it to transmission specialist to have checked, or back to dealership. The service manager won't be in until Monday...so I will be calling him..and also Toyota's Customer Service in Ca. as listed here. Any suggested form you all will be appreciated. Have copied the info here and have my copy of the work order from August cearly stating I complained of feeling transmission slip!

POIZEN
35

OK IVE BEEN DOIN RESEARCH FOR A WHILE SO THIS IS WHAT IVE FOUND . THE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT BEGINS TO FLASH AND IT WONT LET THE RPMS GO PASS 3000. WHEN I HOOKED UP TO A SCANNER MY CODES WHERE FOR THE THE 02 SENSORS AND I HAD A MISFIRE ON #4. SO I REPLACED (AFTER CHECKING THE FUEL?RATIO) THE INJECTOR,SPARKPLUG,COIL AND COILBOOT!?!?!?! THIS WAS 8-20-2010. IN 2008. WE ALREADY REPLACED THE TRANS AND THE ECM!!!!!!!! NOW TODAY 5-9-2011 IT IS HAPPENING AGAIN? IM ABOUT TO HOOK UP MY SCANNER TO SEE WHAT THE POTENTIAL PROBLEM IS THIS BLEEPING TIME. 143,711 MILES TODAY.

TeLynnB
30

Well they have ordered the ECM...then will have to test it out, then if continued problem they will replace the transmission. The warranty has been extended to 10 years/ 150,000 miles. Don't think I'll keep my Rav much longer...that being said...I love my Rav!

dixits93
160

We are working our transmission problem through. For 2001-2003 Rav4's the transmission warranty has been extended for 10 years or 150000 miles. So youare getting close!! I found a good way to get some traction on this is to start a case at Toyota Central (call the 800 number to start this). The dealer at first would not acknowledge that there was an extended warranty, but finally owned up to it. Thsi feels like having a major surgery.. have to get tests and then get approvals for parts replacement. First teh computr then the entire transmission.. So get startd now!! Hope it works for you

POIZEN
35

THANK YOU SO MUCH AND GD MORNING AFTER DOUBLE CHECKING THE #4 INJECTOR CONNECTOR AND WIRING. IT IS TIME TO GO TO TOYOTA BUT FIRST MY BUDDY HAS THE SAME CAR AND IM GOING TO GET HIS ECU AND PLUG IT IN. JUST FOR TISH AND GIGGLES.

TeLynnB
30

By passed the dealer and had them get a case started through the Torrence, CA Customer Care Center first...unfortunately still ahd to call them and have them contact the dealer directly because the dealer was getting the directives from the Regional office...which had not updated their info!! Toyota Central was AWESOME!!! Had me on hold for about 5 minutes then told me everything was handled and who to talk to at th3e dealership...they even had a new Corolla as a loaner for me! Hope you all have as good luck as I have so far!

JulieBaba3
30

I have a 2002 Toyota Rav 4-The vehicle started to skip, so I took it to my local Toyota Dealer. It had just went over 100,000 miles. They told me the codes were something about the Catelatic Converter, The ECU, or the transmission. They suggest I replace the ECU and the Cataletic Converter and if the problem persisted that I should have the transmission replaced. They proceeded to tell me that I was no longer under warranty, and the cost would be approx 8K...After further investigation I find out that the car was in fact under warranty because of the 10year or 150,000 mile extension. I then took it back and all they replaced was the ECU, and no other codes came up after repairs. 2 weeks go by and now the same Cataletic Code comes up and they say it will cost approx $1200 to replace and some sensors. I called around to get a better price and I am being told that the ECU and the Converter are related therefore Toyota should replace at no cost. I called Toyota customer care and they said they WILL NOT replace that it is my responsibilty. Why? If the ECU was running properly then the Converter would not have gone out. Why is this my sole responsibility? Now, if I don't get this replaced I will NOT pass smog. What do I do to get Toyota to pay?? They are related in every way....

dixits93
160

Toyota has agreed to replace our transmission but the car is sitting at the dealer because they don't have any ready to replace units. They claim they have to custom build one for us. 14 week delay. In the meantime, we have a rental car that Toyota central is paying for. The whole thing sounds completely inefficient!

Phil Sabatine
10

Hi, My wife's 91 Rav4 4wd transmission is acting up. It seems to be getting worse and of course, the complicated way the car is made, DIY can not fix it, let alone diagnose the problem. Mileage is just over 100k. Her name is Sally Sabatine. Phil Sabatine

dixits93
160

I would suggest you call the Toyota USA headquarter office in Torrance California right away to find out if your car transmission is covered under the extended warranty. If so then they can start a case file to figure out the next steps. They finally replaced our RAV4 transmission. It took them much of summer to rebuild one though. I had to wait about 14 weeks.

Smita Bhalla
10

Hello All, I am also running into the same problem, additional Symptom is that the rav4 when trying to switch between 1st and 2nd gear will seem to hiccup, My mechanic already told me that the due to the ecm problem the transmission needs to be re-build. Called the 800 center in CA, and they came back with, your vin is not part of this service bulletin. Will try to take it to the dealer tomorrow. Hope and pray folks!

shay1217
0

i just recently bought a 2002 rav4 from a used car place and the day i bought it the check engine light was on so they said leave it over the weekend and we will have it fixed by Monday morning. well i gave them till Wednesday, went to go pick it up on Wednesday and it was never done so they said take it home have your mechanic look it over and write a list of what is wrong with it and we will fix it so i did. 2 days after i had it home i couldn't unlock the car doors either side with the key, thank god the back hatch door was unlocked or i wouldn't have been able to get into the dam thing, so i called them and explained to them what was wrong with the doors, they said to me use the key , i said i am using the key they thought i was using the automatic door unlock thing , anyway so i brought it back on that Monday and gave them the list also the a/c wasn't working either. they said it would be fixed in a couple of days that they had to send it over to the Toyota dealership they work with, i said ok. Now this was on Monday, by Friday i called because i didn't hear from them and they said by Wednesday it would be done so now they said it would be Monday for sure so Monday i called still wasn't ready they said def Tuesday. so i went and picked it up on Tuesday and within 4 days i couldn't lock my doors with the button on the drivers side door because its suppose to be able to lock and unlock all 4 doors, so i called the people i bought it from again and had to bring it back up to have them fix the electrical again, now its been about 2 weeks and i have the car running great and then all of a sudden i'm driving and im at a stop sign and then i press on the gas peddle and it didn't want to move, just hesitated , it would move a little and then it started making a loud banging noise so i brought it to my mechanic , he looked at it and said it was the computer and i cant drive it. its gonna have to be towed back to the dealership .so i called them and they came and picked it up this morning and said they have to send it over to Toyota. now i bought the car on the 8th of July and its over the 30 day lemon law but they have basically had the car the whole time so when actually did my 30 days start and is the ecm/transmission gonna be covered by the dealer or Toyota or am i gonna have to pay for it out of my pocket thanks Shay

dixits93
160

You should call the 800 customer service number in CA right away to see if you are covered under their extended 150K, 10 year warranty about the Rav4 ECU/Transmission problems. You will need the VIN number to get a clear answer. Hope you are covered under this warranty (out of pocket will be very expensive)..Good luck!

Regina1947
30

Hi. I have a 2007 RAV4. At around 100,000 miles I am having problems when driving backwards. The car jerks like crazy. I had it at the dealer to fix this problem about 4 - 5 times. Each time the dealer was very courteous and gave me a rental car. (it was still under warranty when I brought it in the first time) They replaced the transmission, the axle, and did some other things to it. Every time they said it was fixed. I drove it to a parking lot to test it. It wasn't. It had the same problem. They told me that they don't know what the problem is and to bear with them. Which I did. I was told that they had contacted the manufacturer and proceeded according to their instructions. Nothing worked. I also noticed that the car would start to loose power in the first gear when accelerating slightly from idle such as when stopping at a red light and then proceed when green. I was told that the car checked out fine and that I probably gave too much gas too quickly. I told them that I am 64 years old and I do not burn tires. However, this problem has only occasionally returned and was not very significant to begin with, but I am concerned that it may accelerate. The main problem is the jerking when driving backwards. A trustworthy mechanics from a different shop also test drove my car and said that it looks like it is a differential problem in the transmission. They may have not replaced the differential. Other concerns are that all replaced parts are not new parts but rebuilt ones. Parts that had failed already at one time point. So, I am not too happy to have learned about that. The present status is that they have a specialist come to my dealership to physically examine the problem. The whole process went over a time span of about 2 month so far. I am still waiting for this specialist to show up. In the mean time I am concerned that this mail functioning causes other components to fail which may not be covered under my expired warranty or can cause serious accidents. I bought the car because of Toyota's good reputation (at that time point) and the excellent rating it had. Neither one turns out to be true. Sincerely Regina Griffin, Marietta, GA

jimweick
10

Reinhold James Weick, St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada ... same issue ... unreported problems with ECU with possible damage to transmission in 2002 Toyota RAV4 ... At one point I was leaving a parking lot and it felt like the transmission was going to jump right out of the vehicle ... But that is not all ... in 2009 we bought what was referred to as a 2011 Toyota Carolla ... The transimission basically failed the same day ... I think from what I have seen on the internet that there could be a fundamental problem with all of their vehicles that rely on these defective electronic control units ... So far the dealership has been OK and has offered not only to replace the defective ECU but also the transimission if it is damaged ... It is too bad, I liked Toyota they used to make very good and dependable vehicles ... ones without malevolent electronics ...//rjw.

dixits93
160

To All RAV4 owners, I got a letter from Toyota recently that they settles a class action lawsuit against (I think this applies to 2001-2003) RAV4 'hard shift' transmission problems in the US. Toyota will pay for all the repair/replacement - even if you bought a used RAv4. So check with Toyota to see if you are covered!

Regina1947
30

Thanks for info.

Rav4victim
10

Is this still open to enter into

jessc
20

I'm in Toronto, Canada and I own a 2001 Rav4. Currently I have just over 132000km. I know the warranty for the transmission and ECU has been extended to 10 year and/or 150000 miles, but what about in Canada? I've been saying for a while that my car just isn't driving right, but Toyota would say the engine light is on because of this or that (O2 sensors), but just recently I started driving much more and I was having issues while reversing out of a parking lot. Then the car wouldn't move when it was in drive. I brought the car to the nearest dealership. They had the car for 3 days and put 40kms on it but couldn't get it to do what it did to me, therefore nothing was wrong with it (oh and they checked for their "codes" too). I get the car back and within 5 days it will not accelerate and I have to get the car towed nearly 200 kms to our local dealership (I was on a road trip with my 2 young kids in the car). Now this new dealership is saying "oh yeah, it's either the ECM or the tranny." We can replace the ECM and if it doesn't work than you have to fix the tranny at a cost of $5500 and you're not under warranty. I feel as though this issue would have occured sooner (perhaps while the car was still under warranty, if I had put more km on it, but I was a stay-at-home mom who drove her car to run errands, and not to commute to work. Now that I'm back at work and am driving a lot more, I'm being faced with this issue. I'm very disappointed in Toyota. And I am also upset with the fact that just because I purchased my car in Canada the same warranties don't appy here. I kow the car was made in a different country, but they use the same parts. It's another case of a numbers game. Canada just doesn't have the population and we tend to just accept everything, but it is very unfair. As I mentioned before, my car has 132000 kms and I don't think I should have transmission problems at this point.

hkc
50

I am in canada and own a 2001 RAV4. I bought it two years before and it has the stalling problem, skipping gears, car not moving when put in drive. My engine light is On. My mechanic told me that the transmission needs to be replaced. Can anyone tell me what kind of warranty applies to the recall for 2001 Rav4 in Canada? Will Toyota pay for the repairs?

jessc
20

Hi, Have you tried to see if Toyota will pay for any repairs? The status on my car is we bought a new ECM unit from toyota ($700) and have had the transmission fixed from AAMCO. We just got the car back and it is jerking when you hit 2nd to 3rd gear and 3rd to 4th gear. The tech at AAMCO is saying it's a computer problem and Toyota is saying it should go away after 24 hours of driving - but it hasn't. Let me know if you had any luck with Toyota. I did call and complain to Toyota Canada and they said, there was no recall on my car's VIN number. jr

happyme1
0

I am not able to unlock glovebox in my 2004 Toyota RAV4

Ecm Outlet
30

This is the replacement part number 89661-42812 rav4 ecm. This unit will fit most models from 2001 2002 and 2003. The only difference is a 2 wheel drive or 4x4. If you are experiencing a hard shift between gears then the ecm is probably the problem. There is more information here at http://www.ecmoutlet.com I would go to a Toyota dealer first and make sure this is in fact the problem.

Karlnic
10

Interested in purchasing a used RAV 4 so am doing research. I am only interested in manual transmission, can I assume they are free and clear of this issue?

Dayna Makowski
10

i have a 2001 toyota rav4 that i bought not ever two months ago and im have transmission problems. it has very slow acceleration and act like it dont want to shift!!! sooo plz include me in your lawsuite!! thanks so much!!! Dayna

Koko1234
10

Hi dayna, hi all, just to let you know that Toyota rav4, avensis verso, are involved with Ecu defect code : solenoid B, will affect transmission shifting. All Ecu these ecu's do not need to be replaced but can be repaired. Got my Ecu repaired with ecutesting.com. There are more company's doing the very same thing, the repair involved is a mater of replacing old resistors in the Ecu ( no programming involved.) Hope this will help all, and yes this problem should be recall from Toyota. Thank you

patrizia
10

Hit there, I am currently going through this issue with my 2001 RAV4. I took it to my local mechanic and they tried to fix it by changing a smaller part (I don't know the name), a sensor I believe. It didn't fix the problem. Cost me $550.00 for parts and labor. The head mechanic there explained the enhanced warranty issue to me so I decided to have it towed to the dealership. Unfortunately, although i only have 99.000 miles, it i past the 10 years window so I am not eligible for a 'free repair', although their diagnostic confirmed that my ECU's number was covered. Is there anything I can do at this stage or is it really too late? Thank you.

Koko1234
10

Hi Patriza, Don't take it to a dealer, it will cost you a lot of money for a new Ecu but as I said in my previous comment take the Ecu for repair. It will only cost you 20% of Toyota dealer price. Ecu's do not need to be replaced or reprogrammed but can be repaired by replacing old components like resistors or capacitors. Thanks

patrizia
10

Thank you Koko. I appreciate your answer. As it is I have no understanding of how to take out a computer and get it fixed, Let alone have it re-installed and re-flushed. Also, I needed my car back asap so I decided to go to the original dealership where I bought the car. My issue was indeed a malfunctioning ECU (or ECM?) and my car VIN"s and the part number matched those of the cl action suit. Note that the local mechanic is the one that told me about the enhanced warranty situation and also said I should change both the computer and the transmission if I wanted my car to run well again. Their cost would have been around $3900 for both. I h had myt towed to the dealer and had to pay $162 for the additional miles over the AAA allowance of 7 miles. I also had to rent a car for 3 days which came to about $90. I had to really insist and plead with them to help me out, My RAV4 is a 2001 and now it's beyond the 10 years mark allowed by the lawsuit. They were resisting for a while but then the service agent heard my plea and was really helpful. y bill came to $570 including parts, labor, taxes and diagnostic (as well as a free car wash and ride back and forth form the car rental place). I just got back with my car, no need to replace the transmission (for now.) I guess my advice would be if you can, go to the original dealership where you bought the car (if it's a Toyota dealer), or go to a large one, they have more flexibility with being able to help someone out. And then do what you can to convince them to help you. Good luck!

Sunny03
30

After driving to Bakersfield from Kernville - Bill Wright Toyota tells me I'm not under warrenty for this transmission problem. Over 10 years old. There should be NO llimitations on time or milage for a KNOWN DEFECTIVE part. The recall letter stated "file this if your not experiencing problems" Should have said - we released a car with a known defective part - bring it in immediately and we will replace the part - no charge. This is part of the reason Toyota has lost it's #1 standing in the US. Class action law suit is the only way to make them responsible. Sunny

Pastfan1313
0

Ok well my story is a nightmare. I have a Rav 4 2008, at about 90.000 miles the solenoid code and a couple of other codes came on. They had the solenoid replaced under warranty, the lights went on less than. 100 miles, I went back they said replace the trany. Ok went to aamco. They rebuilt the trany. The same set of lights went on, replaced the solenoid again15,000 later (about 5 grand out of pocket) the lights are still on at 150,000 miles. Never ever drove badly, the lights kept coming on. Finally a friend said, just drive the car so 60,000 miles and 15,000 dollars later. The dealer won't do a thing because they now blAme it on aamco even though they changed the solenoid twice!

Ecm Outlet
30

I would not recommend trying to repair the ecu for the Rav4. I have heard some real horror stories from customers saying the repair caused additional damage to the transmission. We offer a replacement part number with the updated Toyota software Call 313--462--0124 and ask for Kelly.

Prodigalhoosier
0

2002 RAV4 owner that was NEVER informed by Toyota directly of Toyota dealership when car was last serviced in 2009 for water pump replacement or by AAA Car center when car was last serviced for complete differential trans fluid flush in 2010 that there was even a Toyota recall issue for ECM and that I only had until Aug 2012 to be covered. Two weeks ago I skidded off the road at 70mph b/c transmission totally locked up...thankfully no one was injured, but where is the moral justice??? I called the 1-800-331-4331 number for Toyota Customer Experience and they have all my current contacts so why wasn't I informed to prevent what is now going to cost me $2500 for transfer case replacement or & 8K for complete transmission replacement plus ECM...read all the prior posts - what if anything has come of lawsuit??? If still pending, please add my woes!

mandukhai
0

I have rv4 2003 I have problem for transmission and I changed 2 years ago and I paid from my pocket now recurring again the problem.what should I do I cnt pay again :( my mile 141mile

mbirdwest
30

I have a 2009 RAV4 with 115,000 miles on it. Bought new and totally dealer maintained. I do not drive roughly and take good care of car. I usually get 250,000+ miles out of a car (including all my previous Toyotas). Check engine light and “skid” light came on. Took it to dealer. They said needed new transmission (?). They replaced transmission ($4500.00) and lights came back on the next day. Now they are saying the codes indicate it needs an oxygen sensor and catalytic converter. The transmission replacement wiped out my savings. If they don’t make this right it will be my last Toyota. I read somewhere that Toyota extended the extended warranty re: transmissions to include 2006-2011 RAV4? Does anyone know more about that?

pratanion
10

I have a 2002 RAV4 with 84K miles on it and it is been like 4 weeks since i started experiencing "harsh shift" conditions , I called in Toyota and they are now letting me know that since car is over 10 years they will not cover it under the extended warranty as proposed by CLASS Suit. I am in a fix and looking for any suggestions with this regard. Is there a way out , can i file a complaint somewhere , a consumer forum or anything. This is Toyota Cheating on us , they know they sold something bad and which usually goes bad at may be a certain tenure or lifetime / mileage / usage of the product , it should be covered through out instead of 10Y/150K (whichever comes earlier). Please help

Ecm Outlet
30

We can assist you with this problem. We have remanufactured Toyota ecm computers for RAV4 that fix the transmission problems. There is more info here http://www.ecmoutlet.com/rav4-ecm.html

Ecm Outlet
30

Here is a diagram on how to remove the rav4 ecm

kiwiclive
0

I have been doing research on MSN autos for years on the rav4 They use to state that on Rav4 years 2001 to 2003 had significant transmission problems. BUT today there is nothing mentioned and is given a green light! WTF

ceemo
40

FOR THOSE HAVING PROBLEMS WITH THE HARD SHIFT AND STALLING/NOT DRIVING AND JERKING WHEN IT HITS 2ND AND THIRD GEAR. I HAD THAT PROBLEM A FEW YEARS AGO ON MY 2002 TOYOTA RAV4. MY MACHANIC WANTED TO REPLACE MY TRANSMISSION BUT I FELT MY TOYOTA SHOULDNT NEED THAT YET AND DID MY RESEARCH. I FOUND OUT ABOUT THE ECM ISSUE AND BOUGHT A NEW ECM FROM TOYOTA AND HAD MY MACHANIC PUT IT IN. I HAVE NOT HAD ANY PROBLEMS WITH MY TOYOTA SINCE THEN AND ITS BEEN ABOUT 4-5YEARS. FORTUNATELY I CAUGHT IT EARLY AND IT DIDNT MESS US M TRANSMITTION. BUT...I WROTE TOYOTA A LETTER STATING I SEE MANY POST ONLINE OF PEOPLE HAVING THIS ISSUE AND I WOULD POST IF THEY DONT ADDRESS IT AND WITHIN A FEW WEEKS I GOT A "BULLETIN" STATING THEY WERE AWARE OF THE ECM PROBLEM AND WILL REFUND ME THE COST OF THE ECM AND TRANSMISSION IF I HAD TO HAVE MY TRANSMISSION REPLACE IF THE ECM CAUSED MY TRANSMISSION TO FAIL. AT THE TIME THERE WAS NOT AN OFFICIAL RECALL AND THERE PROBABLY STILL IS NOT. I SENT THEM MY RECEIPTS AND WITHIN WEEKS I WAS REFUNDED THE FULL COST OF THE ECM PLUS LABOR (ABOUT $1,100.00) SO I WAS VERY PLEASED. THHE BULLETIN ALSO STATED IF THE OWNER OF THE VEHICLE HAD NOT REPLACED THIER ECM TO TAKE THE NOTICE TO TOYOTA AND THEY WOULD REPLACE THE ECM. I AM WRITING IN CAPS SO PEOPLE WILL SEE THIS AND PLEASE GET THIER MONEY BACK FROM TOYOTA FOR OUT OF POCKET EXPENSES. I WILL TRY TO FIND THE NOTICE ALTHOUGH ITS BEEN A FEW YEARS NOW SO I CAN POST THE BULLETIN NUMBER FROM IT.

Deedee22
10

I have a 2002 toyato rav4 I also experience slippage. My transmission is acting up, I have to constantly put fluid in. It very hard to accelerate, I will have to change it. Please add me on the law suit

Ecm Outlet
30

It is very likely that the ecm is bad. The ecm controls the transmission in all RAV4 vehicles. Here is a pic of what the ecm looks like. The replacement part number is listed here 89661-42822. Good luck with the lawsuit

Pete0561
195

You guys at ecu technologies are funny. The image further above of the ecu location was taken directly from www.otherdeal.com, edited and put as yours... If you are a "technology" company, how is it that you can't use your own images? Even the copy-write of the page was taken as yours... So you built your page by copying and pasting from other webpages? A lot to be desired.

Ecm Outlet
30

No sir, those images can be found at Mitchell, All Data, Toyota repair manuals, and many other sources. These are just general images depicting the location of the ECU in the RAV4. We did not design the images. They are available for the general Public to view. Our name is on the image to show customers who to call when they have a problem. This image is one of our ecu's that we have in stock.

Infaith
10

I have a 2002 RAV 4 with similar transmission problem. It only has 86,000 miles but it being 2014 I thought I was not covered for the 10 years or 150,000 warranty. I was wrong due to the fact that when they say 10 years, it's from the date the car was first used, which in my case was Jan 9, 2006. I found this out by giving the customer service in California a call as I bought the RAV second hand. I plan to go to a dealership to get my transmission changed as the ECU was replaced in 2007 by Toyota which I believe is just a bandage for few years until your transmission goes out after eating out the solenoid. Will see

msmiramar
10

I'm the original owner of my 2002 RAV 4 and has 99500 miles on it. I received the recall notice from Toyota in 2007 and have taken the car to the dealership for repair (yes, they probably just put a bandaid in at that time.) 3 years ago, my car experienced symptoms like everyone mentioned in this blog. Two weeks ago, the car was acting worse. I took the car to the dealership for the lurching/jerking problem. They charged me $99 for diagnose and recommended replace the ECM for $1108+tax and labor. They said if the problem continue after replace the ECM, then will need a new transmission for $4566+tax and labor. I took my car to my mechanic and paid $1184 for the part (ECM from Toyota) and labor. I called the dealership for the price of the ECM. They have 20 plus different prices and the price is base on the VIN of car. I've called the 800 number to Toyota Customer Experience and talked to the guy about this issue. He checked on the computer about my repair records. He told me the records showed I've taken the car to the dealership for the ECM repair in 2007. Then I asked if this is the same problem of the ECM will the Toyota pay for the expenses? He said may be not and ask me to deal with the dealership since they did the repair for the ECM. This seems the defect of the ECM at the begining and the repair was not fix the problem completely. Is there any remedy for this? Please help!

Ecm Outlet
30

Yes the rav4 has common problems with the ecm. If you need a replacement rav4 ecm call 1313-462-0124 for pricing and availability.

BKSK
0

Hey In Faith, are you saying that your car was never driven from 2002 to 2006? I am having the same transmission problem and am seeing if there are any loop holes to this warranty thing. Unfortunately we also purchased used but it was driven prior to our getting it. It has 95K on it which we just started experiencing problems now it's too late for the 10 year warranty. I call Toyota with no satisfaction and it will cost around $4K to fix : (