Burning Engine Oil

Kary
0

Asked by Jun 26, 2010 at 03:55 AM about the 2001 Toyota Corolla

I have a toyota corolla 2001 and its burning oil. There is no oil leakage as such but i have to put 1L every 1500-1800 Kms. Went to a mechanic, he told the oil seal(packing) around oil pan needs to be changed. I dont see any heavy leakage around oil pan. Also engine seems to be good and car has good pik up. No Black/white smoke after starting the car in teh morning and its 167300 on mileage .What can be the problem ? Can anyone help ?

Tristan Pawsey
135

check your coolent, see if it looks mily in any way, if so you might be leaking oil in to the radiator by the oil cooler, but that will also change the coler of the oil sometimes because water will be going in to your oil... is there any oil around the tappet cover? if so you may have a blown tappet cover gasket. try running the car till operating temp and then check the exhaust, smell it as well because it will have a smell to it if your burning oil. thats all i can help you with mate. good luck

Cameron Loher
185

so it only happens when it starts well then its the valve seals letting oil seep into the cylinder head.... this happens some times if you let your engine sit for like a couple months without starting sometimes even weeks without starting depending on the age and how thick the oil is....

Nicky Stieldorf
195

my guess is valve stem seals, they're common enough on somewhat older corolla's, especially the e11 (or gen *) with the early vvti engine...they go hard over time and allow oil to pass into the combustion chamber, hence the increased oil used.

Albert Velez
395

If you stop @ a light & then hit the gas... does a little white puff of smoke comes out? Answer: Valve Stem Seals. If the smoking is constant? answer: piston rings.

Philip Riegert
225

it's piston rings. very common with 98-02 corolla's.

David Koppa
395

I concur these years had problems with oil consumption. To be safe spray the whole engine clean with degreaser and a pressure washer, being careful to avoid things that shouldnt get that wet ie intake, electrical stuff etc, especially areas of concern. let it dry and then drive it for a few days and look for oil spots they should be easy to see this way you can remove any possibility of an external leak.

Benson Stein
270

It's kind of a well known fact amongst mechanics that Corolla engines burn oil. Especially after 90K miles. A few posters mentioned it is just the design of the engine and I agree with that- Whether the "valve seals go hard" or the piston rings start leaking, etc... The freakin amazing part is, these engines are legendary for often going strong 300,000 or 400,000 miles or more without skipping a beat. So whatever the reason, I guess it is not something that hurts performance and engine life. I have a 99' Corolla with 140,000. Thing runs like a champ, not one problem ever with the car. Amazing vehicles. But it does burn oil. I put in 1 Qt per month approx. If I go on a long trip, I need to add a QT per every 1000 miles or so. No smoke or exhaust problems whatsoever. Passed emissions testing in N.J. which is insanely strict on their specs.

sb_corrolla
150

I have a 2001 with almost 300k on it. My wife noticed a little hesitation the other day so I checked out the oil as it was overdue and it was bone dry. I wonder how long it has been like that? Question, should I switch to 10w30, put an additive of some form in, or just keep an eye on it and top-up as needed? Thanks, Sean

ishek
120

sb_corrolla, stick to 5w30 and don't switch to 10w30. You'll have staring problems if you go to the thicker oil (especially if it gets cold in your region). My Corolla 2002 CE also burns oil... it has 150k miles on it and burns about 1q per 1000 miles freeway driving. I believe it's due to the fact that the transmission doesn't have many gears and the engine runs at higher rpms at 60+mph. The mpq is still impressive though - 32 combined... I just keep an eye on the oil and top-up as needed.

mikelouf2
190

i have a 2001 corolla doing the same thing 130,000 miles on it have to put 1 ot oil in it every 1,000 miles it use to be every 2,000 miles i have to clean the spark pulgs every time i change the oil i keep geting white crap on it when i pull out the spark plug on Cylinder 1 i saw some oil on the bottom of it might have to pull the head off and see what going on in there not sure what will cause that

rahulksk
30

I have a 2001 corolla CE, the transmission has just 3 gears, which makes the engine run at higher RPM on freeways. I'm filling 5w-30 and keep checking it every 800-1000 miles Current odo: 112700 Miles

mikelouf2
190

has any one with a corolla have a a issue when fueling the gas tank up the car will not start unless to had to hold down on the gas then run rough for a little while when i fuel the car up when it runing the rpms go up and down any help will be nice thank you mike

bulbul
40

I have a toyota corola 2002 G edition.I run almost 130k ,it's recondition,imported from japan.now,my engine has some smoke if i run it through gas ,& using a.c.But, with octane,i don't have any problemAny help?

Newg Lleshgoc
30

Toyota has finally admitted there is a problem with the pistons..that's why the car was burning so much oil, The dealer I got my Toyota from CLAY COOLEY did an consumption test on it last year and found out I was using 1 quart 800 miles they fixed the problem it would have cost me 2700 dollars Call your dealer.

girlinthedorm
160

My 2000 Toyota Corolla uses 5 qt of oil on a 1500 mile trip every time. I get different opinions from everybody but it's way too much money to redo rings. Any other suggestions?

roy_pen1344
110

I have toyota avensis 2004 .there is a problem too oil i have to pour 1 liter every 500 mile.But no leak and smoky.Can anyone help and answer me.MANY THANK'S

Luis Real G
50

i Have A 1996 Toyota Corolla 1.6L 4D Sedan . When i turn it on in the A.m , it knocks for literally 3 seconds up top on the head then stops the knocking . My car is drive-able and all just knocks on a cold start .. what can that be??

Jesse Walters
10

I like thicker oil, that have less volatile compounds. 2 You don't want a PCV valve that is stuck closed or blocked. 3 Run it and rev it with the oil fill cap off and put your hand over the opening to check for too much blow by, too much crank case pressure getting past the rings. 4 Oil seeping down valve stems overnight past seals causes morning puff. 5. Smell exhaust and check plugs for signs of excess oil. 6 Run the engine parked under several rev levels to see if there is oil loss from any sporadic leak. 7 Valve knock is either or both advanced spark timing and heat. Heat can be excessive to one or several valves depending on Head gasket design flaws. Water flow blockage to small head areas can also cause excess oil burning. A cooler engine burns less oil generally.