excess oil use?

hopefully2bhelped
25

Asked by hopefully2bhelped Oct 10, 2007 at 07:29 AM about the 2001 Toyota Celica

My Toyota Celica uses alot of oil.  Lately the engine light has been on and my repair shop
said the computor says it's the catalytic convertor, and that the excess oil I've been using is clogging it up.  I had a Quality Guard +Plus warrantee and when I called them, they said we needed to do an Oil Consumption Test for 3,000 miles.  Checking it ever 500 miles, after 2,949 the car had used 2 and 3/4 quarts of oil. The Warrantee company said this is within the normal range.  I've had about 30 cars in my life and none ever used that amount of oil.  I love my Celica, am I crazy or are they scamming me.  Please help...

25,545

The warranty company is trying to hose you. There's no way it's within normal range for ANY vehicle to use almost 3 quarts in 3,000 miles. 1 quart between oil changes was considered normal, for example, for Dodge products. Sounds like either your valve stem seals, piston rings, or PCV system are screwed up, causing the engine to burn oil excessively. Have a compression test done on all cylinders and see if one is exceedingly bad, that will help narrow it down. My father's 1991 Mazda B-Series truck has been burning large amounts of oil for years, the dealership could never find it, I'm pretty sure there's either a cracked head, or valve stem seals/piston rings since it exhibits very similar symptoms to yours.

hopefully2bhelped
25

I think this answer is right on target. I am faxing the anser to Quality Guard+Plus to get there reaction. If there is any more comments please bring them on the more QUALITY Gguard +Plus gets the more they may believe me.

Frenchie2
0

Worked on finding oil leak on 2001 celica GT my son in law owns. He lost 2-1/2 litres of oil over 5000k, Found that the timing chain tensioner device was leaking at the O ring but only when driving. No oil was seen to be leaking when the engine was stopped. Weird leak - replacing O ring tomorrow. Hope this helps you. Frenchie 2.

papa

if you are going throught that much oil sounds like a cracked oil ring ,even if the valve seals are bad it still would not use that much oil.i also dont belive the cat conveter story eather.the oil is burnt in combustion chamber in engine all that would go through the cat is smoke,not oil.

Matt Davis
5

If you have a 7th gen. GT go to www.newcelica.org it will be able to tell you what is wrong with it

joedynamo
215

Take the warranty company to small claims court after you get at least two good estimates from reputable mechanic shops for the repair of the oil leaks (take the estimates with you to court), for they are full of crap! & note, for Toyota oil leaks: I would get an entire upper and lower oil gasket kit(s), the Felpro one is about $25 for each kit, and just go through the entire system, after 150,000 miles these 4 cyl. and 6cyl. Toyotas leak oil from a variety of places, the biggest offender being around the crankshaft at the belt side of the motor in the area behind the timing belt (you may have to pull the motor to solve the main oil seal leaks), so find a good affordable mechanic in the country who gives you an honest quote or do it yourself.

joedynamo
215

...besides the obvious visible oil leaks, if you can't readily see where the oil is coming from then it could most likely be as you stated, the valve stem seals, and that mechanic is correct about the excess oil burning could indeed clog you catalytic converter system. Take the warranty company to small claims court with the written estimates for all of the needed repairs that they refuse to cover or ignore, and if you don't fix this problem you your motor will be trashed.

joedynamo
215

...and yes there can be unburnt raw oil coming into the catalytic converter if the motor has valve seal and or cylinder ring problems, there is no such thing as complete combustion in a fossil fuel combustion engine, if oil is entering the combustion chamber then it being a heavier and less combustive liquid then gasoline, the oil will not completely burn, and in fact your tail pipe will be black on the inside, even greasy, and you should be able to observe both and oil burning smell and blue to gray smoke at the tail pipe as well when the motor is running, especially under heavy acceleration.

joedynamo
215

Yes, same problem with my "91 Celica GT 2200 engine, leaking around the timing chain only under the pressure of running the car (leaking a quart ever 200 miles) but it would stop leaking after cutting the engine was off & the residual dripped to the ground, so after replacing the timing chain tensioner o-ring the problem was solved!

joedynamo
215

Yes, I had the same problem with my '91 Celica GT 2200 engine, leaking around the timing chain only under the pressure of running the car (leaking a quart every 250 miles) but it would stop leaking after cutting the engine was off & the residual dripped to the ground, so after replacing the timing chain tensioner o-ring the problem was solved!

jennaraes
0

just wondering if you ever got this taken care of? i have a 2001 celica that has the exact same problem and i don't know where to start

papa

you are being taking for a ride.no the cat is not your problem,most likely you have a broken oil ring,bad valve seals,the car has probley been run to death,ive been in the auto business for 40 years and have never heard of a oil consumption test.sorrey to say sounds like your engine is shot.if you have a warrantee,and they dont honner it and make it right,take them to court.

joedynamo
215

Correction: it was the oil pump o-ring that was the real culprit for leaks, it had several cracks int it, but hey what do you expect after 210,000 miles! (located behind the timing belt cover)

issabendeck1
5

quit jap cars , they all burn oil

issabendeck1
5

quit jap cars they all burn oil no matter the brand

5,885

I have a 1985 Celica that uses almost no oil between oil changes every 3000-5000 miles. "Less than a quart". Sorry but its one of the best cars I've had. If you say all Jap cars are crap, then you are clearly blind, deaf and dumb or just one of those ignorant people that says "buy american!" but doesnt realize Kia's are built in the USA and Dodge cars are Fiats now. Before all the hate rolls off. My other car is a GMC and I love it too. OH, and way to start hate on a 2 year old post