I have a 2005 Saturn Ion When it gets cold in 20 degrees I have trouble starting my car The car will not turn over it's just like there's no juice going to the starter I have lights Interior lights When you turn the ignition over it doesn't do anything I've had the battery checked the alternator checked No corrosion Can you help

John Ohare
0

Asked by John Mar 23, 2013 at 09:48 PM about the 2005 Saturn ION

27,295

Sounds like a bad starter. If your lights stay nice and bright when you try to start it your starter is most likely bad. HTH. -Jim

64,195

It sounds like your battery is low on power. It should be reading 12.5 volts with the engine off on those cold mornings. As batteries age, they have lower voltage and less amps. They generally last around five years and fail in the cold months.

Jessie Harrington
95

my ion does the same thing, its an ignition problem, when its cold and wont start, try it again every couple of minutes and it will start

gsgmxm5
0

You may be experiencing a problem with your "Passlock" system. If - when you try to crank it and it does nothing - you see the amber Passlock light blinking (the icon looks like a little car with a big padlock), you will need to do the following. 1. Call your boss and tell them youre gonna be late. 2. Wait ... and WATCH. The light will stop blinking anywhere from 7 to 10 minutes from the last time you turned the key. 3. Once the light stops blinking, switch the ignition all the way off and then try to start again. It should start just fine. If, however, you don't notice that light blinking, I'm sorry I wasted your time :-) Best of luck

gsgmxm5
0

More to my prior answer: a mechanic at a GM dealer in Minnesota said that the reason for this was because they used too much lubricant on the pins inside the key cylinder. These pins "feel" the key, and that tells the car whether or not the key you're using is it's key. When it's cold, the lubricant gets sticky prevents the pins from accurately forming to the key - which, in effect, tells the car that you're using a screwdriver to start it and not to let you.

longspan
20

Exactly what happened to me - ran some tests on the starter motor - found a bad solenoid on the starter. Replaced with a rebuilt starter. PS - I remember on older cars the solenoid when bad, would make some noise to make the diagnosis quicker.