1999 Porsche 911 Carrera 996

Victor Wei
35

Asked by Victor Apr 10, 2009 at 04:26 PM about the 1999 Porsche 911

Hi, um, I'm in the market for a 911 Carrera 996, and I was concerned about a couple of points. One is the
lifespan of the car, and of the steptronic automatic transmission. In addition, where to get the servicing done, if
I can get it done at say a VW dealer? Also, the cost of keeping it up seems low, but around here in the East
everything is like a bit more than I expected. 260 dollars plus tax for an oil change, as well as filter change
every 15k miles, and a 1450 dollars plus tax for the 60,000 mile service. I was wondering is it just the tires, the
oil change, and the 60k service the only things you need to do to the car to keep it running? And are brake
rotors and brake pads covered in the services? Isn't there a 30,000 mile, and 90,000 mile one too? Also, the
ones I've been looking at have about 88,000 miles to 107,000 miles on the clock, like I asked before, how much
longer can they go without problems? Also, how do you know if the Carrera 2's have the PSM or not? And if not,
how would the car handle in the dry as well as the rain?

Thank you guys so much for your help.

Adam Morgan
4,185

'oil change, as well as filter change every 15k miles' It won't last long maintained like that... I would recomend getting on an enthusiast forum and asking your questions there.

Langley Steinert
435

i would avoid the tiptronic automatic as it does not shift all that well, get a manual. I don't think psm was introduced until the 997. Handling in the rain might be an issue but if you are concerned about that get a 4s with all wheel drive.

Victor Wei
35

well idk thats what the lady told me, and I can only drive automatics.

Drew Nelson
5

i don't think you can handle a porsche then. If you can't drive a stick, why don't you learn? its really not hard at all once you get used to it. Second, it also sounds like you don't have a whole lot of money and just want a porsche for the "status". this is a bad idea since you will be stuck where you can't afford to maintain the car. and the PDK just came out in the 09' or 10' carrera's so you won't be able to get that. So my advice would be to find a less involving car that you can afford. maybe you could also look at something cheaper like an older c5 vette

Craig Sherriff
5

buy the tip box it is the best one more reliable also serviced guide on 996 is every 12 k i sugest oil plus filter every 6 k psm came outon 996 2002 mainly c4 models but for a good 996 99 year get a cab comes standard with hard top so get best both world for uk servicing see unit 11 warrington or jmh holmes chaple cheshire very cheap and better than main dealer for 996 cab se www.nscarsales.com or call 07907464816

Vince Lee
1,105

Now thats a classy reply!

USMarine1
35

Listen bro...you may not be able to handle this car right now, but you can work on it. This is not the type of car you want to learn in though..lol. These cars are expensive, but so are chicks and we don't stop dating them so don't let go of your dream of owning one. Educate yourself very well as you seem to want to do by asking questions here. I take care of my porsche and its a 1999, if I ever sell it, who ever buys it will get a car that requires just maintance and normal wear and tear kinda care. So do your research and learn manual shift bc these cars are meant to be manual, not automatic. Dont let go of your dream, but plan and save for when the unexpected happens with your car, your able to handle the blow. Good luck!!

lstein
285

the tiptronic is not well designed at all. The shifts are not crisp and the automatic mode does not match gears well with the driving conditions. The PDK, which came out 2 years ago is fantastic. It is essentially a manual but with an electronic clutch - essentially what they have on Formula one cars. The problem there is a two year old Carrera or Carrera S is going to be expensive. My advice is get an manual. If you can't, save up for a PDK Carrera S - it is a fantastic car.

targa70
20

tip tronic trans excellent trans i have a 99 carrera with it and upgraded my motor from 3.4 to 3.6 excellent crisp shifts. catch me on a five speed if you can. great trans and can it take a beating.dont agree with what you guys are saying about the tip.

dic_camarillo
255

You guys missed the most important thing for Victor - the intermediate shaft problem and the rear main seal leak. These two items are deadly for the 996. If you lose the intermediate shaft, the engine is gone. The rear main seal is a nuisance (leaking oil) that turns into a nightmare. I was told that an attempt to fix the leaking seal is futile, since they will continue to leak.

Vince Lee
1,105

It is most important not to fear monger. Intermediate shaft failures occur during the first 25k and higher mileage cars are safe. Main seal leaks have simple factory fixes. Severe leaks are very easy to detect - just look under the engine. Minor leaks do not affect driveability and with a 6-8 litres oill capacity, on board oil pressure and level guages, a teaspoon or so of oil on the floor to mop up every few weeks may not be much to put up with for a daily driving exotic. There are no other cars in the whole wide world that have handling characteristics of a 911 - drive one and you won't be disappointed.

dic_camarillo
255

Vince, please be careful with your advice. I am not trying to "fear monger" and you need to be careful with the advice you give. The IMS failure typically happens at higher mileage. I don't think you know what the problem consists of, so I'll give you some information. The intermediate shaft does not fail, but the seal on the bearing does. When the seal fails, the grease in the bearing escapes and is replaced with motor oil. As you know, motor oil is not a replacement for bearing grease (lower viscosity, etc), so this alone would be a "bad" thing. The problem doesn't stop here; the oil will come out of the bearing during normal operation, so the bearing runs dry. Its only a matter of time before the bearing fails and metal enters the engine. There are retrofit kits for the IMS, but you need to catch the problem before the "death rattle" turns into a destroyed bearing and chunks of metal in the oil. The cost of the retrofit kit is about $2K installed. The other issues about the rear main seal leak is also very important. There are no known "factory fixes" for this problem. Everyone I know that has had this problem "repaired' has had it recur. Remember that you're using synthetic oil in this engine. Synthetic oil has a way of creeping thru any weak seals/gaskets. A small problem turns into a larger problem, then a catastrophic one. Remember that we're here to help people make a good sound decision. It's obvious that Victor should not buy a 911 based on the questions he's asking. If he's concerned about the cost of an oil change, then an IMS failure at $15-18K is something he definitely will not be able to afford. I don't know if you've owned a 996, but I have. I agree that its an incredible car to drive. I agree that the 996 is one of the few daily driver exotics. I've also seeen lots of these wind up at the auction with IMS problems/failures. One question you should ask yourself is: if the 996 is so reliable, why can you pick one up for so much less than a 993? And don't say it's because the air cooled vs water cooled.

Jay Kinghorn
0

Just get an extended warranty on the engine/power train and don't worry about it.

GDI1952
275

I HAVE A TRIPTRONIC (7) SPEED TWIN TRANSMISSION AND WHEN I STRETCH IT OUT UP TO 150 AND AND HIGHER I NEVER FEEL IT SHIFT. SMOOTH FAST AND FUN.

Eric Gonzalez
10

Lol hav one forsale 911 porche 1999 92 miles 15,000