I just brought a used 2002 Nissan maxima. The check engine light is on and after driving for a short distance, the transmission won't switch gear but it's an automatic. Upon cutting the car off and starting it back up it will drive good again. Can anyone tell me what's wrong with the car?

Kia02maxima
0

Asked by Kia02maxima Feb 25, 2013 at 07:45 PM about the 2002 Nissan Maxima

49,795

Who did you buy it from? Did you have a mechanic check it first? Does it have a warranty? Get the codes read to see what is lighting the CEL.

Kia02maxima
0

I brought it used from off of Craigslist. I suppose I do need a diagnostic check to find out. If the transmission is slipping. What's the going rate for a fix or used transmission. Don't know too much about cars but do no the bare minimum. And thanks for the answer.

82,965

Since it drives find after you restart, maybe the trans is OK, find out what the 4 digit codes are and post back.

natalie000
75

Sounds like your MAF sensor may be going....when mine went (mines a 6-speed), it would stall out and bunny hop for lack of a better way to describe. Have codes checked, depending on where you live some places will run a scan free of charge.

natalie000
75

Also, if it is the MAF, look on ebay, I picked one up for about $200 as opposed to $500 at a dealership..