1991 Capri does not start

BryLoy
15

Asked by BryLoy Jul 15, 2011 at 12:27 PM about the 1991 Mercury Capri

I have a 1991 1.6 liter non turbo Capri with 50,000 miles that will not start. It cranks, fuel pump works, has spark, the STO (self test output) for the computer has steady 12v output and does not show codes. Things that were problems leading up to the not starting were a 9 blink code of the air bag light while it was running and a 5 beep code when the key is in the accessory position. The last straw was unhooking the high low pressure switch for the air conditioner and trying to start car. My guess is the PCM needs to be replaced but the other conditions were present before it would not start. Any help would be appreciated!   

Read more: http://forums.automotive.com/70/8773345/engine/1991-mercury-capri-went-from-running-fine-to-not-s/index.html#ixzz1SBwxhGV2

frrom365
30

BryLoy; Modern Capri has used & new whole assembly. I've used this company several times & always satisfied. But you pay through roof as ford no longer has parts available. http://shop.moderncapriparts.biz/catalog/ProductDisplay.cfm?id=50553&cid=148

sunnysteve
30

bryloy, first of all check your timing as these cars have a design failure involving the crank pin shearing and being out of time. sometimes they'll run as if nothing is wrong and then not start at all.this is a flaw in the design of the car. Secondly,there are parts available if you look for the cross over manuel for parts.You'll find that the mercury lynx has the same parts as well as the mazda Miata.the 323 protege has some of the parts as well as the mercury tracer.some of the ford pinto's have the same parts.You have to do your homework if you plan to keep parts up for this car,But they are available if you know what your looking for.