won't start

kt1186
0

Asked by kt1186 Mar 20, 2009 at 10:24 AM about the 1999 Mercury Sable

Hey - I have a '99 Mercury Sable LS that I have not driven or started for like 4 years due to me not having a license due to mad tickets. Now I finally tried to start it today and SUPRISE it wouldn't start.

First I thought it was the battery so I pulled it out and tested it and it was dead. Bought a new one and put it in. Then put 4 gallons of gas in it. Lights come on, but will not start. Just makes that engine stalling noise when I turn the key.

What else can I try besides having it towed somewhere?

Thanks

Joseph Rota
215

if it makes a clicking sound when you turn the key into the start position? if so it's the solenoid

Adam Morgan
3,605

Firstly often a battery needs to be charged before being installed... If you have a voltmeter, check the voltage between the terminals,if memory serves it ought to be about 12.6-12.8V Secondly when you say 'staling noise' do you mean it turns over and doesn't start? If so does it turn over slowly? Thirdly, did you put some fuel stabilizer in before storing the car?