Idle trouble when cold

Ted Weaver
85

Asked by Ted Jan 13, 2011 at 12:18 PM about the 2003 Dodge Dakota

Hey guys, with just a few more miles away from pushing the 150,000 mark, my 2003 3.9L dakota has thrown me a
curve ball. When it starts up on a cold morning, it starts, but idles very very low and fluctuates, occasionally
stalling. if you give it gas, it'll run fine until you take your foot off. in fact, that's how you get it to warm up quicker.
once the engine is just a little warm, it idles fine. If you turn it off then back on, it'll start up like it's brand new. I'm
at a loss of what's wrong. I'm guessing a sensor somewhere on the throttle body, but it doesnt explain why it runs
fine when it's warm. Any ideas would help.

Tyler VanEps
125

Is it happening at any point on a tank of gas. Full, half, 1/4, under a 1/4?

Ted Weaver
85

happens at any point in time. I thought about water in the gas tank, and that's a good possibility. does water move to the top or bottom of gas, or does it mix?

Tyler VanEps
125

I was thinking it could be your fuel pressure regulator. Mine does the same thing. Idles extremely rough and sometimes dies when I stop and I know my regulator is going.

anjy834u
2,235

get the idling checked on ur dakota. and also the fuel pressure pump might need replacement. http://dodge-dakota.org/2002-pictures/

Tyler VanEps
125

Has it goten any better? I got to thinking it could just be the cold, now that the sub zero temperatures have stopped my trucks been running good.. So it very well might just be the cold

Ted Weaver
85

I'm thinking it's just new spark plugs. I put 93 gas in it and now it runs like a champ. I'm not the original owner, and I can't tell you when the last time those were replaced. I may drop a 5.2 in come summertime, that should fix any issues with the engine running rough =P

Tyler VanEps
125

Haha yeah I'd think so!!