heater fan not working

opposedtwin
25

Asked by opposedtwin Dec 31, 2007 at 03:43 PM about the 2004 Dodge Grand Caravan

the front heater fan on my van is not working. i pulled the fuse and it looks like all the others (not blown) is there a relay on this circuit and if so is it ok to pull it and check it or would that destroy it? my napa store does not have a manual in stock and they say they can't get one that's newer than an '02. any info woukd be appreciated. happy new year!

29,515

There are a couple of things you need to check here. The way that the heater fan works is this: Input from the coolant temperature sensor sends input through a high speed and low speed fan relay in the Integrated Power Module (underhood fusebox.) This then triggers a relay mounted down low on the driver's side near the radiator which kicks the fan on or off. The fan is set to work in a "stay alive" mode if the coolant temperature sensor input is invalid, or if it loses input from either of the two relays in the IPM. So it should run all the time if the coolant temp sensor is disconnected, or either of the relays are pulled from the IPM. The relay on the frame is the most likely culprit here if it is not running at all. Do those tests, then take that relay off if you can't get it to run at all. It costs about $60-70 at the Chrysler dealer. It won't hurt it to remove it. Good luck!