I have a 2005 Automatic Civic EX coupe. I am experiencing a small soft jolt when shifting down from i think 4th to third or third to 2nd gear. Anyone know why or have this problem. Tranny's fine...

Robert Villafane
15

Asked by Robert Jun 15, 2009 at 05:48 PM about the 2005 Honda Civic Coupe

I have a 2005 Automatic Civic EX coupe. I am experiencing a small soft jolt when shifting down from i think  4th to third or third to 2nd gear. Anyone know why or have this problem? Mechanic says tanny's fine... and i take care of the car real well, but its been doing this since i got it new, just never thought of it as a problem.

Kelly Smith
5

Try checking over the tranny mounts and then if thats fine i couldn't hurt to change the trans filter and put new fluids in there. I had the same problem and it was the mounts

Jaron Regozo
15

Automatic as in geartronic? or is that a typo and you actually meant manual?

Fred McClelland
1,525

check the speed sensors they might be bad? idk other then change the fluid and filter

Richie Quinones
15

could be ur torque converter

REDNECK73
265

kelly...tranny mounts arent the problem or id would do it thruout the entire shifting process mainly the lower gears though cuz of using high rpms in order to shift to higher gears. frank more info is needed on your car. how hard do u drive it??? how many miles are on it??? where exactly on the jolt do u feel it comin from??? does it only appear when down shifting or also upshifting??? UNLESS U DRIVE IT HARD & ALOOOOT OF MILES...I CAN ALMOST ASSURE U IT ISNT ANYTHING MAJOR. most likely it could be your tranny slippin a bit cause u need to change the tranny fluids. the jolt could be due to slippage. motor mounts...torque converters...speed sensors...I HIGHLY HIGHLY DOUBT THATS THE PROBLEM. but then it goes back to miles & care of usage.

REDNECK73
265

your typically gonna be sensing motor mount problems in lower gears rather than higher hears not only that but if it was just 1 motor mount that was goin out...ud feel alot more than a tiny jolt. honda also have torque mounts. it has three mounts plus two torque mounts. It has one mount on the driver side, one other mount is on the top of the Transmission. and one that mounts to a bracket on the back side of the engine. the two torque mounts are on the front one is part of the AC bracket and the other is mounted to the front of the transmission. http://www.engine-light-help.com/speed-sensor.html

REDNECK73
265

torque converter info........ http://peugeot.mainspot.net/tips/torque_converter.htm

Robert Villafane
15

~95,000 miles; just did service on oil, trans oil, sparks, some hoses its auto 5 speed (no manual clutch just to clarify) i drive it pretty conservatively, but i let loose from time to time does not have this problem upshifting through any gears only shows symptom from 2nd to 1st downshift happens when clutch disengages and gear then jolts in (softly though, not like a thump or a jerk)

REDNECK73
265

well its def not the motor mounts. motor mounts last alot longer than 95k unless u like to try takin if off road & up mountains & thru rivers & streams on a reg basis. an 05 @ 95k...my best guess is...the aft fluid needs a new round. yah might wanna also think about a tranny flush. im guessin its time & the tranny fluid is startin to get thick & sludgy. when that happens...it'll stick to the inner walls of the pumpkin of the tranny which is where the tranny fluid goes which is attached to the drive shaft. if i were u (ALL FREE) take it to tempe honda. they are the best honda dealer in the state with customer service & sales & makin customers happy. now...keep in mind...all this is sayin if it is the tranny but thats my best guess without test drivin it & feelin the jerk your talkin about. with what u told me but without all the evidence in hand...its def the tranny. the whether its an auto or stick...when the tranny fluid needs to be changed...ul feel a bit of a jerk...possibly or gettin to the point of poppin outta gear...most likely the jerk is comin from the shift column but u might think its comin from the motor when it isnt or isnt the cause of the problem. im lost of the auto 5 speed (no manual clutch just to clarify) but then u mention clutch disengages. either its an auto & u dont have to shift the gears or its a stick which does have a clutch. if it is a clutch...the tranny fluid is gonna go to shlt faster that an auto cuz it puts more wear & tear on the gearing. most people who have a stick are quite a bit more of a demon with cars than an auto also. thats why autos get better gas mileage due to the gearing & demon drivers. i got an 07 civic EX & it gets 2mpg more than the stick. need anymore help...lemme know.

REDNECK73
265

typo.......tranny pan...not pumpkin. got discombobulated. u can also check the tranny dipshlt (dipstick) & see what the tranny fluid is like but keep in mind...just cuz its good on the stick doesnt mean is good in the pan. whats on the stick is whats taken from the tranny when u fill it up thru the motor dipstick hole. if it is your tranny & your gears are startin to slip which is what the slight jerkin motion is...id be shocked if the tranny dipshlt showed anything on it IF u never changed the tranny fluid b4. ohhh wait.......nevermind....i misread the message...u changed the tranny fluid then where did u take it??? if u did change the tranny fluid...u might have an entire dif thing wrong. keep in mind... granted it may cost a bit more $$$ but U DONT WANNA HAVE ANY1 WORK ON YOUR CAR BUT A CERTIFIED HONDA MECHANIC THATS BEEN WORKIN ON EM & KNOWS THE INS & OUT OF EM FOR 20YRS. did u put the correct amount of tranny fluid in??? since u changed the tranny fluid...without test drivin it & feelin the jerk...im not 100% for certain what the problem is. id take it back to where u had the tranny fluid replaced. u coulda had a crappy mechanic who just replaced the fluid but didnt pay attention to the inside of the drain pan & might need a flush. im still certain is has to do with the tranny due to the jerk only happening when shifting. im guessing the slight jerk is comin from the shift column???