Ignition Switch / Starter Fuse keeps blowing.

FocusTroubles
175

Asked by Aug 14, 2010 at 06:59 PM about the 2002 Ford Focus

I own a 2002 Ford Focus, 2.0l SPI engine. 5-speed manual trans. Recently bought from a friend's parents, with nothing wrong with it other than the clutch. I cheated when replacing the clutch, and completely pulled the engine/transmission out of the compartment, and took it apart that way. Got everything back together as it should be, but a few weeks later, I had no power other than dome light, "anti-theft" light, and a few other odd "emergency" lights. Found the blown 30A fuse, replaced it, and it blew as soon as I turned the key over, with an audible "pop".

Any help or guides to find / fix the problem is highly appreciated.

(On a side note, I'm not the mechanic-type, I follow Hayne's / Chilton's religiously.)

sounds like you shorted out something in the wireing,if fuse blowes as soon as you put it in you got a bare wire aganist metalmcausing it to blow,all you can do is retrace all the wires.

bignick41501
130

ok well what if it takes maybe a day or so for it to blow again, or somtimes it blows as soon as you try to start it? see, i got a 2003 ford ranger and the 30amp "starter/ignition switch" fuse keeps blowing at random times. somtiems it seems its fine, somtimes shell just die. any ideas?

you got a short in the wireing harness someware,check grounds and check for bare wires,also you could have put a starter wire on the pos,side of starter,that goes to neg,small wire to neg post on starter.

FocusTroubles
175

I found out what it was. When I put the engine back in, my starter / negative cable was rubbing on what I hear is the EGR tube(?). As it heated up, it melted the wire, and caused an arc. Burned a hole straight through the tube.. and was causing my car to short out. For those of you with similar troubles, check out your wire routing.

Kewyn Gray
130

.

Kewyn Gray
130

FocusTroubles pointed me in the right direction about the idea. Come to find out, there are some wires near my battery, that go to the MAF, touching the hot egr pipe. The last thing i did was changed the Positive battery terminal the day before, and apparently, moved the wire loom near the egr pipe, making clearance for battery terminal, to the point where its as show in the picture where its on the pipe. My symptoms were, the car will drive normal, and out of no where, jerk sort of violently, "i guess if you're going real fast, it will be worse", and the ignition will cut out - engine shuts off while driving. When you turn the key, no lights on the dash will come on. Below the hood, my 30 amp Ignition fuse is blown.

CK64
20

Exactly the SAME thing that happened to Kewyn happened to me, I had my battery replaced at my 2001 Ford Focus and next day while driving from work my engine stopped 3 times for a second but then continue to run, and 20 minutes later just died in the middle of the road and wouldn't restart. No lights came on on the dash! First we thought it was the alternator, but when we checked the battery it was fully charged. So I had my fuses checked and the 30 amp ignition fuse was blown. Changed the fuse and it blew up again after driving for 30 min. We looked it up on the internet and found this site. Kewyn's post helped A LOT!! The wires touched that pipe on the left side of the battery and melted! Taped the wires and made sure they won't touch the pipe again and everything's fine! THANK YOU!!!

matthew0220
20

Ok I have a 2001 Ford escape. Every time I get in it in the morning I hear a "click" when I start it. It won't turn over. I pulled fuse #25 and put a new one in it and it started . I need help. It keeps blowing the fuse or won't even start