How Do I Find Out the History of My 1972 Ford Ranchero GT

Asked by desertwolfman Nov 23, 2012 at 04:56 PM about the 1972 Ford Ranchero

I want to find out the history of my car. Where it was built, what original motor and tranny it had, colors, seats, etc. so I can restore it to close to original. Is there a place i can put in the VIN number to find out this information? Any Help is GREATLY appreciated. Thanks!

best free decoder program I've found may or may not go back to your year couldn't check for you without a VIN from a 72. I know GM has a research department perhaps Ford has one as well (but it'll cost ya)

A VIN check will only reveal a few things about your Ranchero. If you want accurate information buy a Ranchero repair manual. The factory repair manuals will tell you a lot of information and there are many Ranchero books on the market that will help you out immensely when restoring it. Check out Amazon dot com and do a search there for Ranchero in books. My search brought up 274 results. The Ford 1972 Repair manual 5 volume set is your best bet. Here's a couple links to click on or copy and paste it into your browser. Also checkout Dearborn Classics dot com for parts for your Ranchero. Good luck. Kenny/ MrBlueOval

Michael Tutty

If you want to find out about your particular vehicle, the sure fire way is to get a Marti Report. It costs, but it is a comprehensive report on that vehicle. I believe they have the production information on all Fords going back to about 1968. Nice choice of rides, too. Love that 72 Ranchero. I believe that they were all V-8 engines, ranging from the 302W, right through to the 460 big block Lincoln engine.

Best Answer

Thank you Michael for your information.

A Marti Report is thorough but like Michael said, They aren't cheap they are $15.00 for a basic and up to $260.00 for the elite report. A basic report will give you just that, basic info on your car but that might be all you need. You can find them at: You are still gonna need a repair manual set if you're doing any kind of work or restoration on your car. Everything a basic Marti report gives you, you can also get from the shop manuals and you'll have a bevy of other info as well on your car with the manuals. BTW, the 460 wasn't available in the 72 ranchero, you could get a 302, 351-W, 351-C, 400 or special order a 429 but no 460. That engine wasn't available until '75 or '76.

I own one of these and the factory repair manuals are invaluable. I have torn my Ranchero down and rebuilt it with nothing else for reference.