transmission won't shift or engage

terrycomputer
20

Asked by terrycomputer Jun 12, 2007 at 07:57 PM about the 2003 Ford Taurus

my car just stopped and won't go  in to gear forward or reverse

20,165

Check out these sites. Maybe they will be able to help you troubleshoot whats going wrong with your transmission. http://autorepair.about.com/od/troubleshooting/a/auto_tran_probs.htm http://www.aamco.com/troubleshooting/automatic_transmission.html

You think this is helpful.
Anonymous
0

Same thing happened to me last year coming back from New Orleans to Houston. According to the dealer, the catalytic converter went out. Fotunately I had bought it as a cetified used car in 2005, warranty was still in effect.

terrycomputer
20

Thanks for the answers. I went to Ford and was quoted $2900. To rebuild at a local shop was $1800. I ended because of finances getting a junyard unit put in for $1200, I had to find the transmission myself because they were hard to get in my area. It was $500 at a salvage yard but the garage charged me $700 plus $500 to install, thus the $1200. I hope it last.

Michaelapri4
260

HOLD THE PHONE My Ford Taurus gets in a mood every now and then and starts slipping in gear. Usually all I need to do is get on a highway and it somehow resets the computer to sync the transmission back up. The other day, I was working on the power window in the driveway and vola!, the transmission stopped completely, except for reverse. I jacked the car up and found the transmission pad was leaking so I replaced the filter and transmission fluid and it took over 7 and a half quarts to bring it to full level with the engine running. But the interesting thing was I found a little known blog that said, disconnect the battery (clear the codes) and the transmission would still kick into gear, even when the transmission fluid was low. Evidently the torque converter, if it doesn't catch too well or not at all, sends a message somewhere to not try at all. Clearing the code, started it searching again. Too often, most of the mechanic's kept saying the transmission needed complete rebuilding. In this case, this was not needed. Michael

papa

could be the tourk converter,a bad scensor,or the tranny is gone out .

Benoit Chaput
105

well our car have a good tranny but we need the following to make it last change fluid on a regular basis like 40 000 60 000 km and add a tranny cooler and when you start to have prb like slipping the mostly newer tranny have some time a bad piston seal and they need to be rebuilted did 800 000 on a rebuiltted tranny on a 40 000 km oil change interval with synthetic and a secon dary cooler cuz heat his the worst for our tranny and even i you dont have prb with your now and youre not towing any thing plzzz add a tranny cooler on the secondary line this will help portect your tranny or any automatic tranny

papa

sounds like it is toast,when was the last filter and fluid changed.

Christopher Paden
2,605

Step one is to make sure there is fluid in it. The transmission cooler lines run almost behind the front bumper. I have seen some get scraped against tall parking curbs and spring leaks. Check the fluid with the car RUNNING in park fully warmed up. Read the dipstick it will tell you where it should be. With the car off and the key in, foot on the brake pedal. Rapidly go through all of the gears. Sometime the PRNDL switch can get gummed up. How many miles are on the car and when was the last time the fluid and filter were changed? Th is should be done AT LEAST every 60k on this car, but its better to do it every 30k. $100 every 30k will save you a big bill in the future.

moto911
70

THIS IS REPLY TO ALL I OWEN 95 TAURUS AND I VERY LEARNED A GREAT DEAL ABOUT THIS CARS IF YOU ARE HAVEING TRANNY PROBLEMS CHANGING FLIUD IS NOT ALLWAYS THE CURE BECAUSE NEW FLUID WILL BREAKUP THE OLD FLUID AND CLOG THE SYETEM ONE DAY WAS DRIVING TO WORK AND WENT SET THE CRUISE AND IT WOULD NOT SET BUT THAT MONRING IT DID NOT SHIFT RITE IT DID WONT TO SHIFT OUT OF FIRST GEAR SO I DID SOME CHECKING AND VERYBODY SAID IT WAS THE SPEED SESIOR WRONG IT WAS NOT IT WAS GEAR SHAFT THAT GOES THE TRANNY THE GEAR WAS WORE OUT SO THE SESIOR COULD NOT TELL THE TRANNY WHEN TO SHIFT I KNOW CANT SPELL

Jeff Leeper

you ran the transmission too long with old fluid in it and it wore out.

sadaboutcar
120

Although this is old, for anyone like me googling this problem, please see the following website: http://www.carcomplaints.com/Ford/Taurus/2003/transmission/transmission_failed.shtml I'm going to try disconnecting the battery as one commentor on this site suggested, but I don't hold out much hope.

Alex Fulghum
80

May someone help me I have a 98 ford it will not stay in drive but I to drop into frist than second an than drive but when I stop it slip so I go back into frist gear.

Allen Underwood
75

You got to get your transmission rebuilt. I had mine rebuilt for $1200. Thats the cheapest I could get it done for.

cnamathews
100

I just calledcthe ford dealership and told them bout my ford Taurus transmission doing what everyone else's was doing and they said if everyone who had problems would call then they could make it a recall and fix it for free so please call and report it. 18003923673

beachbbw65
40

yeah my 2002 has doen this ughhh tauruses r notarious for tranny issues

chaddavis0000
130

i changed radiator watter pump plugs and wires trany filter new muffller k&n air filter both bottom o2 sensors elecric fans oil and filter serpenten belt and now it wont go in gear at all

JackieLJones
260

I have a 2004 Ford Taurus, and the transmission did the same as yours. There was no gears that would engage, forward or reverse. I looked on the Internet to find what the problem was, and found most was saying it was the torque converter. And most said it would cost around $1800 to replace it. They also suggested that the torque converter being replaced should be bought at Autozone because it is made with better splines for the pump shaft. The part is made in Tennessee by a company called Dacco. I bought one for my car for $174.99 Found a guy to put it in for $100 My total cost was around $350. I give all the thanks to God for the blessings of it just being $350 instead of $1800

javisa
230

I was driving and my 2003 ford Taurus went out of gear and never went into any gear after that. what should I check before replacing the transmission?

7jimmy7
11,785

you could check the wiring harness connectors at the trans for good connection,along with fluid level at least showing a bit on stick, the fuse box has atx listed fuse also check it if equipped with

You think this is helpful.
Edwin Acosta
10

What is the answer

StormAngelus
15

I went and had the transmission rebuilt - apparently, it had been sitting too long and all the fluids that had settled went up into the transmission, completely screwing up the seals and gears. Cost me $2500. I paid $4000 for the car. Next time, I'll just get another dang vehicle.... sheesh!

ClassicCarGuy752
10

Typical answer Papa - The worst case scenario Forget about A to F It's shot. I can't tell you how times that Kind if answer is totally wrong