Oil pressure on and off ??

iceraider_87
0

Asked by iceraider_87 Jan 11, 2011 at 08:02 PM about the 1987 Dodge Raider

Ok I just got my Raider 4 cyl  a few weeks ago just for ice fishing and I love it so far other than one little thing. It's happened a few times now were i get no oil pressure and the engine pings. The first few times I just restarted the truck and all was fine but a few days ago when I was out fishing I could not get the oil pressure up at all. after getting towed home i went to drive it into the garage and the oil pressure is now ok and has been ok for the last few days.    I'm going to bring it to a mechanic but what shud he be looking for ???  

Thank you
I hope to get this fixed so i can keep the truck.

Dan Connell
5,755

sounds like the oil pumps pressure relief valve is shot, id start there. when you get oil pressure what kinda#s are you seeing?

iceraider_87
0

Dan thank you for the response. Usually it hovers in the middle (30 / 60 Ibs in ) of the gauge depending on driving condition's with out any pinging. I have asked this question On a few other boards and have been getting a little flamed at for asking the same question other boards. With all the same response "check the timing chain could be loose in thus not turning the oil pump chain" I just got the Chilton's book on the raider and in the book it also says check the pressure relief valve spring . So again thank you for your impute

iceraider_87
0

The other day I had no oil pressure again and I found out that if I drive until it changes to 2nd gear the oil pressure kicks in then and the engine stops pinging. I also noticed that it happens when its really cold -20 or colder so its seems like that spring is getting stuck then with pressure behind it it finally opens.