Anyone know why a 89 Beretta GT V6 2.8L when hot has hard start...

Pillowtalk975
0

Asked by Pillowtalk975 Aug 10, 2011 at 11:23 PM about the 1989 Chevrolet Beretta

Hi guys, I have a 89 berreta gt v6 2.8L that seems to not start when it gets hot. I
already replaced the crank sensor, IVAC valve and ignition control module but
had no success. I had my mechanic test the fuel pressure, spark and ignition and
it all checked out fine. When the car is cold it turned over with no problem and
drives perfect with no stalling. However, after a 15-20 minute ride if I turn it off
and back out of a store the car won't turn over and will just crank. It seems to be
a hard problem to solve bc my mechanic nor a dealership could solve it. Theres
no engine light or code either, please help! Thanks

jmover
25

It's possible that this model of car gets vapor-lock. The best solution for that, if it is that, is to slowly open your fuel cap and release the pressure. I've done this many times and have not had any backlash or anything. But I did hear a little popping sound, like releasing a cork from a bottle. After performing this duty, my car always ran fine. Seemed to have the problem after driving for a long time or in hotter weather. Maybe loosening your gas cap will release some of the vapors enough to stop it from happening, which I hear may reduce your gas mileage a bit...but good luck!

Pillowtalk975
0

Thanks for the reply, I could check the gas cap...it's actually a after market one with a lock, perhaps it's not sealing and letting air in.

Beretta
0

After rulling out the battery condition, then change the crankcase position sensor first. This usually gives a no-start symptom when hot. If not that, and connections are not bad, then pursue the ICM, and consider changing the coils, spark wires. Not solved? Got a bad vacume leak? Got 40.5-47 PSI fuel pressure on the rail check valve? Change fuel filter before checking.

cbennet9
5

I had an 88 GT with a 2.8, it had the same problem. Went to Autozone, bought a new vented gas cap, problem solved!