Datsun wont stay running

13Devildog
10

Asked by 13Devildog Sep 23, 2011 at 01:31 PM about the 1978 Datsun 280Z

my car dies after driving it about 1 mile or after 15-30mins at idle. at first i thought it might be the computer so i put another used one in it and still get the same problem.(not sure if the other computer worked to begin with just took it out of one of my other datsuns.) I am currenty checking the the relays to see if that is the problem. I could realy use some ideas on what the problem could be.

WolfRabbit
65

What else is it doing? Backfiring, lights dimming, gauges going crazy...?

13Devildog
10

The engine sounds like its running out of gas. There is no backfiring,no dim lights anthd the gauges are normal. I checked the fuel lines and couldn't find any blackage.

Computable
0

Check your ground to the computer. If you push the AFM flap towards clockwise (richer) does it run better, if not then try counterclockwise (leaner). If this makes it run better than fuel pressure isn't your problem. Try this diagnostic book. http://www.xenons30.com/files/280zfuelinjectionbook.pdf

dutchiez
10

clogged fuel filter or pump. check plugs, timing.