can i run my tramsfer case in neautral without hurting anything?

Asked by jasonv Feb 23, 2013 at 10:59 AM about the 1979 GMC Sierra

i just got this 79 gmc and the linkage in my transfer case doesnt seem right it seems to not want to go in 4lo at all
but grinds when i try and i cant tell if its in 2hi or 4hi

check your transmission mounts.

To this day, at 60, I still.. which I shouldn't do or anybody else for that matter, on my '78, with manual locking hubs from the dinosaur age..put it in 4L and granny low hold on tho the steering wheel, Lean out and look to see if the front driveshaft is turning

Better idea is get somebody to look for you