I got a 1972 el camino ss with a 502 big block in it, and it aint firing but it will turn over, any suggestions??

Chas Buckler
55

Asked by Jan 28, 2011 at 10:03 PM about the 1972 Chevrolet El Camino

Greg Aspeck
125

1 Was the car running before ,if it was what ignition system do you is it the G M, H E I one if it get your pick up coil under the cap and rotor there is 2 small hex head bolts and the pick up coil take that in and get that tested . before you do that though check to see if you have spark if you do thats not it . check your timing to make sure thats on and if not you might have jumped your timing but it shouldn't have . start there to see if any of this helps. Greg

Chas Buckler
55

ok i will

Chas Buckler
55

will like autozone test it for free u know?

Greg Aspeck
125

well I am up in Canada so not sure but most part stores up here test for free ,did you see if you have spark!!!

Greg Aspeck
125

for got make sure to disconnect power leads to cap and pos battery cable before you pull the coil out ,in the cap where the coil is make sure you have three leads pos,neg and tach wire the neg should be a solid piece of metal there are 4 screws on the top of the cap take that to get tested also and don't lose that piece of metal that is the neg lead

Chas Buckler
55

no its not firing but like a day or 2 before it wouldnt fire it was running great.

Greg Aspeck
125

And you checked for power to the dist, I know stupid ? but . okay so sounds like no spark and it is the hei dist correct. if it is its only two things ,1 the pick up coil which went on mine and was running two daysd and then just quit so this sounds like your problem. only other thing the coil right in the cap went but sounds more like the pick up coil cost is about 50 to 60 bucks common problem and after you change it it should last at least 35 years lol that's how old mine was in my 1976