Can a 06 Chrysler Pacifica AWD be brake tested on a Roller Brake Testing machine or should they use a Decelerometer?

loupacf
20

Asked by loupacf Mar 22, 2013 at 05:11 AM about the 2007 Chrysler Pacifica 4 Dr Touring Signature Series AWD

I recently took my car in for inspection.  They put the front wheels on a Roller Machine with the rears on the ground.  The reversed the process for the rear wheels.  During the test I was asked to come under the car to note a serious streaming oil leak.  I had the car trailered to the dealer how confirmed the damage.  I was told the vehicle should not have been tested on this machine.  I am trying to file a claim but need supporting documents to file my claim.

DavidH25

It really should have been put on a AWD dynamometer, with the number of AWD cars there are these days, a good shop will have one. Are you asking if what they did caused the oil leak? Probably not. That is unless there was no leak before you took it in, then suddenly there was a 'serious streaming oil leak" that's a bit much for coincidence. Here is a common AWD dyno ..click the picture so you can see it

loupacf
20

Thanks....I stored this car in my garage with no visible oil leaks. Based on the stream of oil my garage floor would have been covered. We had recently driven the car to Italy (we only used this car for vacations, it is an 06 with only 46,000 miles) with no problems at all. When the inspector wanted me to see the leak, oil was virtually streaming from the tranny area. It was like I was pouring oil out of an oil can. When the inspector backed the car out of the inspection bay noise was coming from the car. I had it trailered to the dealer. What I need to prove my case of damage by the inspector is, what is the proper procedure for testing the brakes on AWD systems. I have been on line and the only thing I have found so far is that a Decelerometer should be used for AWD systems. There is no way in my Pacifica to turn off the AWD to 2WD.

DavidH25

Sorry, my computer crashed and I have been trying to get it to re boot for a 1/2 hour. finally it's up and well. anyway, from what you describe the technician (and I use the word loosely) did something, it's not going to begin to leak, or that's not even a leak, that's a dump... of oil for no apparent reason right then, trouble is proving it. Best of luck my friend I think I will do some reading on the subject: AWD dyno testing

loupacf
20

Again, thank you.........good luck with your computer. They are great when they work but a real pain when they don't. If you don't have Malwarebytes on your computer download free software and run it. Takes about a hour but finds the bad stuff. Good luck sir........

DavidH25

Thank You for that lou. I will heed your advice, it makes sense

DavidH25

I have pretty good download speeds, may not take an hour

loupacf
20

Actually the download is fairly quick but when you run the program to look at your hard disk, that when it takes time. But it does a good job and will find stuff you didn't know you had.