Why won't my truck start?

Dotted_Fish
10

Asked by Apr 23, 2013 at 10:31 PM

I drive a Dodge ram 2500 5.9 v8 and recently had my serpentine belt brake on my truck. I
noticed the snap and immediately pulled into the nearest auto shop to check the engine.  
After i had already shut off my engine i was told by the guy working there to backup into a
parking spot. I started up again and pulled into the spot not thinking twice about it. After i
had gotten out from shutting it off once again, anti freeze started pouring out under the
passanger side of the truck.  After i had got it home later and put a new belt on i attempted
to start the truck again, the trucks battery came on fine and then when i tried to start it the
engine cranked but stopped like it was having to hard of a time starting, so i could not start
it. Does any one have any idea what could be wrong. i have a handful of ideas and some
people told me it could be my timing messed up? Any help would mean alot thanks!

hokusfocus
30

your serpentine belt broke , so there for your battery went dead there was nothing charging the battery if your battery is over 4 years old its more than likley shot american batteries dont last get a deka battery if your going to keep it .for morre info i would need milage and vehicle age etc

Dotted_Fish
10

its a '99 with just over 100k miles on it. Thanks for your help! i am doing my research myself and any help is appreciated

hokusfocus
30

So they replaced the belt ? you said you took it to closest place how many miles was that did you seriously overheat the motor ? your belt was running the water pump and alternator so passenger side maybe be pressure releif overflow radiator reserve tank releif was it cooled down when you went to start ? as far as timing being messed up thats not possible . please use load tester on battery see if you got atleast 650 cc amps , then you could be looking at internal damage if you drove it along way with it overheating .

Dotted_Fish
10

i drove it maybe another 100 feet and when i checked the engine when i stopped the fan was really hot but not anything ridiculously hot. Is it possible that the battery drained just enough for it to not have enough juice to start the truck up all of the way?

Dotted_Fish
10

and no it wasn't cooled down all of the way when i started it the second time.

hokusfocus
30

well what have you done so far ? you need to put a load tester on battery take it to advanced auto or something

Dotted_Fish
10

i will take the battery down to advanced auto tonight. yesterday i attempted to start my truck again hoping that a spark plug just got something on it that kept it from sparking and the engine starting all of the way (like i said i only know so much about engines) and i noticed that the battery was dead being that the lights wouldn't even come on when i turned my key. it seems that from the point i figured out my truck wouldnt start and the next day when i checked it again the battery had lost the rest of its power. This is leading me to believe that you are right and the battery may have not had enough juice in it.