Can an engine be repaired after a cylinder gets loose and hits the engine head?

Eljay
0

Asked by Eljay Jan 11, 2012 at 02:31 PM about the 1998 Toyota Altezza

My Altezza recently shut down inexplicably while driving. I couldn't get it restarted no matter what I tried. My mechanic upon subsequent  examination said one of the cylinders came loose and hit the top of the engine, even striking the spark plug electrode. Can this engine be repaired or do I need to get a new one as my mechanic stated?

Larry Quigley
5,010

It actually sounds like a rod broke and a piston came loosen. There is a good chance the engine can be repaired however it may not be cheaper than a replacement engine. It all depends on how much damage was actually done.