1998 Volvo S70 User Reviews

1998 Volvo S70 Review Ratings

• Review your car

• Performance:3.9 out of 5 stars3.9 out of 5 stars3.9 out of 5 stars3.9 out of 5 stars3.9 out of 5 stars 3.9 / 5
  • Appearance:4 out of 5 stars4 out of 5 stars4 out of 5 stars4 out of 5 stars4 out of 5 stars 4 / 5
  • Build Quality:4.7 out of 5 stars4.7 out of 5 stars4.7 out of 5 stars4.7 out of 5 stars4.7 out of 5 stars 4.7 / 5
  • Overall: 4.4 out of 5 stars4.4 out of 5 stars4.4 out of 5 stars4.4 out of 5 stars4.4 out of 5 stars 4.4 / 5

PROS
"reliable car" 9 reviews
"comfortable car" 8 reviews
"handling" 7 reviews
CONS
"expensive car" 8 reviews
"high maintenance" 3 reviews
"heavy car" 3 reviews

Displaying 1 - 10 of 36 1998 Volvo S70 reviews.

Christopher writes:
Overall:

Pros

Fun to drive, Safe, Reliable, Unique styling, fuel mileage

Cons

None!

2,335

Excellent All Around Sedan, Inexpemsive To Maintain, 26mpg + Power! — This and other Volvo's are often looked over as they are assumed to be heavy, slow, expensive to maintain, and boxy in looks. This car weighs jut over 3000 pounds, and is powered by a 2.3L inline five cylinder engine producing near 240 horse power and 270 ft lbs of torque as LOW AS 1250 rpms. 0-60 times are between 5 and 6 seconds, and the stock quarter mile is 14 seconds. Not bad for a 11 year old vehicle, eh? My 1998 S70 T5 currently has 123,000 miles and has only needed a brake caliper and an AC condenser (under $500 in repairs in 11 years!). this S70 has always been a Jersey and New York car, and still has absolutely no on its underside. It is built like a tank! I hit a dear dead on at 50mph and was able to drive home with just a slightly bent hood and shattered headlights. The interior is plain and straightforward, the steering wheel tilts, and telescopes(goes in and out, for those that sit really close or far away from the seat.) And the seats are one of the most comfortable seats you will sit on, a d also contain a whiplash protection system that coddles your body when you are in an accident, and prevents whiplash. The seat belts have explosive tensioners that will snug you into the seat in the event of an accident, the front air bags are almost not even needed. The side airbags are mechanically set off by steel poles in the sides of the seats, when you are hit in the side and one of these poles is hit, the airbag will go off. Between these steel poles is an iron block that turns the seats into part of the car in the event you are hit in the side to avoid the sides of the car from caving in. These cars are still used in Europe today in the police force because of the quickness, reliability, and there durability. I would buy another one in a heartbeat, this has to be one of the best overall vehicles I have ever owned. I am glad I chose this car over The Subaru's, BMW's, and Mercedes I had looked at... the price for parts and maintenance is as cheap as an American car. Try buying a brake rotor for a BMW for less than $60!, Try changing the brake pads on your Mercedes! oh wait you cant do it without hooking it to a Mercedes computer!

S70
Looking for a Used S70 in your area?
CarGurus has 231 nationwide S70 listings starting at $1,500.
Boolie125 writes:
Overall:

Pros

Build quality and mechanicals

Cons

It's a European car and therefore not cheap to maintain

Boolie125

Best Car I've Ever Owned — I am the original owner of this now 12-year old car which boasts 277,000 miles. Fit, finish and paint all outstanding. Never owned a car past 80,000 miles or 7 years but this one won't quit -- extremely well built. It is a bit pricey to maintain but I'll hang on to it until the engine or tranny go but I've never had a problem with either so this may take a while. I've heard that these can last for 300,000 miles (which should be no problem for me) or "indefinitely" if they are serviced regularly. I would still like a new car since I need a change of pace (!) but given the quality, I would opt to keep this as a second car since it is a real gem.

HBreck writes:
Overall:

Pros

Good power that comes on in a surprisingly aggressive surge, comfortable seats, smooth ride, decent handling, lots of luxury options.

Cons

Cost of parts and labor, mediocre fuel economy, resists being pushed hard, though that might currently stem from needing the atmospheric pressure sensor replaced.

HBreck

Turbobrick — I just acquired the car, so I'm still learning about it. However, 2 weeks in, I can say I'm impressed overall. 167000 miles, and it drives as smooth and strong as if it were new. Has a few issues, mostly involving a sensor and some minor electrical problems. When pushed about 75%, the car responds with vigor, though it feels a bit sluggish when merely cruising around town. Some of that may be due to the dynamics of a turbocharged engine, and the resulting lag that comes from turbos. The car is comfortable and well-appointed, and I look forward to taking it on a road trip this summer. I miss having a manual transmission, though the automatic in this car has performed fine thus far. I look forward to learning more about my Volvo and reporting on it in the weeks to come.

Justin writes:
Overall:

Pros

The Color Emerald Pearl Metallic Gold

Cons

$$$$$$$$$$

Turbo S70 — The 98 turbo volvo s70 glt is the whole package. It's quick, smooth acceleration and shifts. Stops on a dime and great for the highway. Its built like a tank can't kill this car. Still looks great for being 13 years old beautiful paint and leather interior. 25 mpg highway and it;s a blast to drive fast or slow. The police don't second look at it either

BlackBeauty writes:
1998 Volvo S70 Review
Overall:

Pros

stylish, safe, dependable

Cons

pricey repairs (when it breaks), front light bulbs routinely go out

BlackBeauty

A Beautiful, Reliable, Safe Car — Though it sounds corny, my 1998 Volvo S70 saved my life. I bought my black 1998 Volvo S70 used in 2005 and would still be driving it now if I hadn't totalled it about a week ago on the highway on the way to work. A mini van in the breakdown lane was on fire, belching out thick black smoke. Blinded, I came through the smoke doing about 45 and smashed directly into the back of a Dodge Ram pick-up that had stopped suddenly. The entire front end of my car was smashed, and I veered into the guardrail, where my car got wedged. The airbags deployed, the windshield cracked, and the hood peeled up and back like an accordian. But I only had a scratch on my leg, some bruises on my arms and knees, and a bruise across my collarbone where the seatbelt held me. Everyone who has seen my car after the wreck can't believe I just walked away from the accident. As for reliability...other than a couple of repairs(front exhaust manifold after 120,000 miles) and the replacement of the fuel pump, which wasn't broken but needed to be replaced to prevent a serious problem down the road, the car was very reliable and ran great. I bought the car with 92,000 miles and it was going strong up until last week with 149,000+ miles. If it weren't for the average age of the S70s and the tendency for a lot of used ones to have high miles, I'd buy another in a snap. However, I just purchased a 2004 S60, so I'll let you know how it goes.

Owner for 2 years, 10 months

Miles Driven per Year:19,000

kd19 writes:
kd19

Most Surprising Vehicle In Both Performance And Cost Of Operation — What a fooler...the mom station wagon...HA!!!!! This car handles the corners at very high speed, tremendous acceleration, comfort interior and it averages (and I am not a slagger driver) about 23.5 miles to the gallon. It does use premium fuel (I do cheat and get mid grade octane) but the car just plain is a runner. Volvo's are pricey to repair so do your regular maintenance and you should not have ANY issues until the 65,000 mile mark when you need to check tires, brakes and have a general check up. I traded out my run of the mill radio/cd player for a Panasonic top line with GPS -this slipped right into the same hole as the old radio and could be taken with you if you choose when you sell this car. This little sleeper is a sport vehicle in a Safe Soccer Mom shell. Sticker for this car was in the high 20's but it's resale value is high also. A little care and you have a 5 year vehicle (the styling has no major changes - a little rounding of the top) and a big resale or just keep it and run. My other Volvo ( a 1985 240 GL is still alive and well-although it sits outside in the Texas sun so there is the fading and dash crack effect, but runs like a top, a/c goes down and frosts the inside of the windshield and it has over 200,000 miles. All I can say is go VOLVO!

Owner for 8 years, 3 months

Miles Driven per Year:15,000

Crispin writes:
Overall:

Pros

Great ride, very low road noise, great leather heated seats, amazing stock stereo, very reliable car.

Cons

Non-turbo acceleration is lacking, specialized repair shops are expensive. At 26mpg currently, it's not super efficient.

Very Reliable And Comfortable Car. — I love the ride that my Volvo provides, and fairly decent performance coming from the 168-hp 5 cylinder engine, not as much performance as i would like though. Turbo model would've been better. The build quality is outstanding, only thing I've had to repair is the AC compressor, along with standard maintenance. Gas mileage is a little bad, but considering it's a 4400lb car it's reasonable. Going back to what I said about performance, it's fun to drive, but if it had a turbo it would be so much better.

Gabriel writes:
Overall:

Pros

Security

Cons

Repair cost

I Love It ! — This car is very good, engine is powerful but not enough (cause I don't have the turbo ;) ) The pieces worth a lot too , but it dosn't broke all the time like dodge neon lol Driving is really good, very silent inside , great engine noise.

Tylander writes:
Overall:

Pros

Lots of goodies and it's a Volvo so it's safer than anything short of driving a giant brick.

Cons

It's shaped somewhat like a giant brick. Cheap plastics that crack and break with age. Items that should have been recalled by the company have not been.

Tylander

I Think You Need A Flat Cap And Driving Gloves, Because You Just Became Old! — A car suits your mood. There is nothing exciting about Volvos, and hasn't been since the late 1960's. That said, it is a good daily driver, to work where you don't want to go and to the Wal-Mart, where you don't want to go. This is from the era when Volvo thought they could get into BTCC and TOCA racing, so the ride is a bit harsher, the engine is turbocharged, and the wheels... well at least they are aluminum alloy. The main faults of the S70 are all electronic in nature. The instruments stop working daily. The ABS light comes on because the ABS pump sits against (and vibrates) the electronic control unit, which also causes the speedometer to go out. The plastics are cheap German bits, so they break and crumble to dust. The door leather is stretched so tight from the factory (to save $$$$) that it peels off and shrinks down to where it no longer fits. Finally, crap breaks behind the dash so when you go over a speed bump or a railroad crossing it sounds like someone took a sledge hammer and hit the center of dash with full force ... Ka-crack!!!! Mine is dark blue, it's a box shaped car, and nothing works right in it. My wife calls it "The Tardis" for obvious reasons. But I like this car because a Volvo saved my family's life once. We were involved in a head-on collision in my sister's 1985 240 DL sedan. My sister was driving, I was in the passenger seat and we had three children, all under 6 years old (at the time) in the back seat. We were hit by a 4X4 Ford 3/4 ton Pickup pulling a car trailer. The truck had lost control going over the top of a hill doing roughly 60 MPH and crossed into our lane. We ended up beaten battered and bruised but alive. There wasn't much left of the Volvo, but what was left of it saved our lives. We all would have been dead if we had taken my sister's Accord or my Celica that day. I still have a copy of the 240 DL's key on my keychain as a weird sort of good luck charm. Someday, when I review the 240 series, I will upload photos of the accident.

syedbukhari writes:
Overall:

Pros

Reliable, Very Safe, and it is an amazing condition. AC/Heater is very good and the stereo is great.

Cons

Front seats are a little messed up but all the back seats are good. It has a few bumps and scratches but it's not bad at all.

syedbukhari

Clean Title — The brakes are a little hard but overall it is a very great car. It has been good to me for 4 years it was my first car and I could not have chose a better car to drive. It is a fair price and very safe and sturdy.

Displaying 1 - 10 of 36 1998 Volvo S70 reviews.

Review your car

2000 Volvo S70 Reviews

S70 Glt Se By Josh

5 cylinder 190 horsepower engine is quick! The interior is awesome - leather heated power seats, dual climate control, sunroof...I plan to put tires and some suspension upgrades on it within a ye... Read More

Great Car I Think You Should Check It Out... By Chris

Great car very safe probably the safest car on the road, I really love the handling it handles like a civic or something small. The car has a lot of trunk space and a ton of options. This car is loade... Read More

Read all 5 2000 Volvo S70 reviews

1999 Volvo S70 Reviews

Great Car By Jarrett

Good reliable car, long lasting,mine has 227,000 miles. It has pretty good acceleration for a car of its size. Cost of ownership is expensive because it takes premium gas. Its ok to drive, nothing... Read More

Strong But Slow By Alexander

Acceleration is delayed. Built like a dam tank. A little boxy from the outside but i like it. Takes up a bit of gas but is overall good for the money spent on it. Not really a thrill but it gets me ... Read More

Read all 7 1999 Volvo S70 reviews

People researching a 1998 Volvo S70 contacted a dealer about

1998 Volvo S70 4 Dr STD Sedan picture, exterior
Volvo S70
Volvo 850
Volvo V70
Mercedes-Benz E-Class
S70
Looking for a Used S70 in your area?
CarGurus has 231 nationwide S70 listings starting at $1,500.