1998 Honda CR-V User Reviews

1998 Honda CR-V Review Ratings

• Rank your car

• Performance:3.2 out of 5 stars3.2 out of 5 stars3.2 out of 5 stars3.2 out of 5 stars3.2 out of 5 stars 3.2 / 5
  • Appearance:3.5 out of 5 stars3.5 out of 5 stars3.5 out of 5 stars3.5 out of 5 stars3.5 out of 5 stars 3.5 / 5
  • Build Quality:4.6 out of 5 stars4.6 out of 5 stars4.6 out of 5 stars4.6 out of 5 stars4.6 out of 5 stars 4.6 / 5
  • Overall: 4.2 out of 5 stars4.2 out of 5 stars4.2 out of 5 stars4.2 out of 5 stars4.2 out of 5 stars 4.2 / 5

PROS
"reliable car" 6 reviews
"storage" 4 reviews
CONS
"small power" 2 reviews
"driver" 2 reviews

Displaying 1 - 10 of 19 1998 Honda CR-V reviews.

Brian writes:
1998 Honda CR-V LX AWD Review
Overall:

Pros

built in picnic table

Cons

no power

Great Car — great on gas, room and quality..just needs more power under the hood. Spacious interior..lots of neat cubbie holes..bulit in picnic table, runs great had no problems at 115,000 miles except minor normal issues. Seats that fold down are great.

CR-V
Looking for a Used CR-V in your area?
CarGurus has 44,459 nationwide CR-V listings starting at $2,495.
clic55 writes:
Overall:

Pros

Smile factor of 8.

Cons

odd transmision transition on the 1-2 shift takes some getting used to. Truly a crap retaining vehicle (cr-v) I can and do carry too many tools and 'stuff'.

clic55

Terrific — Super dependable. fun. amazingly agile for a high center of gravity car. I jerry rigged a cone filter to the factory inlet tube and I get up to 29 mpg highway at 75 miles per hour. my rpm at 60 mph is only 2200 rpm.

Adrian writes:
Overall:

Pros

Nimble handling, spacious interior, good cargo space, incredible fit-and-finish, unbeatable reliability, good fuel efficiency.

Cons

Underpowered, mediocre brakes, price, alarm system (had to be replaced after the first year, but since it was originally installer by an outside vendor and not by Honda, I can't hold it against them).

Good Small Suv — The build was incredible, extremely solid, never had to take in for ANYTHING in the 7 years I owned it. The interior was very spacious and comfortable. The ride was safe, but the engine lacked power, acceleration was mediocre and braking was long. Handling, on the other hand, was nimble and very precise. Very decent trunk space for its size. I owned for several years until I left the country and bought a Mitsubishi Outlander. Overall, I'd rate the C-RV over the Outlander in terms of build, handling, fuel efficiency and overall performance.

You found this review helpful

Vwags writes:
Overall:

Pros

It had lower mileage than what it was replacing

Cons

Fuel economy is not what I would expect

Vwags

Typical Small Suv — I bought this car needing some work but felt it was a good purchase since I could do the work myself. I have only had it for a few weeks and am surprised at the low MPG since it is a small 2.0L 4 cylinder engine. It will do for my needs but I would expect it to be higher.

darth_dave writes:
Accessories:
Daily Commute:
Parking:
Visibility:
Weight:
Overall:

Pros

Reliable, good fuel, low maintenance, simple engine, good handling.

Cons

Lower power.

darth_dave

Love It — I went from a V6 2001 Windstar to a 1998 Honda CR-V. While it's taken a bit to find acceptance in a V4, the easy maintenance alone was worth the switch. It's comfortable and fun, but doesn't fly up a hill like the Windstar did. The Honda has a lot of room for storage and fuel economy is way better than the big heavy minivan obviously.

Derrick writes:
Overall:

Pros

interior space, Corbeau Carerra drivers seat

Cons

no power, faded hood due to a paint guy that did'nt primer it before painting...

Battlewagon7 — great gas mileage, has held up to some serious beatings in the past. Goes through snow like a Hummer H2... Awesome winter car.

Steve writes:
Overall:

Pros

Tough little car. 235,000 miles and going strong. Normal but  maintenance. Honda replaced the head at 110,00 due to a valve problem. Tow my small bass boat with zero problems.

Cons

No cons

I Will Get Another One If This One Ever Wears Out — While not a pure suv, no low range. I have had it in snow, mud forest service roads in the Sierra and the AWD is far better than I expected it to be. It will cruise all day and not leave you fatigued. First tire replacement I put on two sizes wider in a 60 series. Looks handles better than the original size.

jitatmp writes:
Battery Life:
Daily Commute:
Interior Noise:
Parking:
Snow/Ice:
Visibility:
Overall:

Pros

new timing belt, water pump, battery, and rear struts

Cons

Has had RR repair (new paint) dosen't match older(faded) paint. Driver window does not roll down(?)

jitatmp

Clear Title — good comfortable car, rides and handles really well. I bought the car from a lady that couldn't afford to have timing belt and resulting valve damage repaired and did the repairs myself. I have driven the car about 1000 miles with no oil consumption or loss of any fluids. I just don't need to keep it. I put in new antifreeze (Advance 50/50), and changed oil (Pennzoil 5w30 and Fram filter) when repairs were done.

Matt writes:
Overall:

Pros

It is VERY easy to park, and also easy to handle around town

Cons

It is kinda slow

This Is A Great First Car — In my search for a car, I came across a 1998 Honda CR-V. I had driven a 2000 model, and LOVED it, so I thought this one would be worth a look. So I ended up buying it. I love this car, it feels nice to drive, its kinda slow, but not bad. It works great for putting the (Honda) lawnmower in. I can't wait to get my license in a couple more months, so I can drive it to school and cross-country practice. Its very easy to park, which is a great plus for me. It even has its own table (look in your owner's manual if you don't know what I'm talking about). I want my next car to be another Honda FOR SURE! or a Toyota.

Michael writes:
1998 Honda CR-V LX AWD Review
Overall:

Pros

Roomy interior, handling, smooth clutch, large engine compartment, relatively fun to drive

Cons

Low on power, high RPM at highway speeds, fuel economy, seats, rough idle, unexpected problems

A Great Little Suv, But.... — Power isn't great,but with short geared transmission it does the job. Fuel economy needs to be better for a 2.0L engine: 22 around town, 25 on the highway. Roomy interior but seats get uncomfortable after a couple hours of driving. Good cargo space and AWD system works very well for being so primitive compared to the Subaru system. Relatively low maintenance but mine has needed some unscheduled work, such as a new master cylinder and two slave cylinders on the clutch system, a new handle on the rear door, and a new lock on the driver's door. It also tends to idle rough. I tried replacing the OEM spark plugs with platinum plugs. They fixed the idle problem but made the Check Engine light come on, hence had to abandoned at inspection time. Have taken it on back roads and it handles great for a car of its size and weight. Overall a great small SUV when you can live with its limitations.

Displaying 1 - 10 of 19 1998 Honda CR-V reviews.

Rank your car

2015 Honda CR-V Reviews

A Great Improvement To Past Honda Crv! By toddtennispro

I love the build quality, which you expect coming from Honda. The overall handling, acceleration, and road noise was improved from the last 3 Honda CRV I have owned. This Honda has been the best I'v... Read More

Read all 2015 Honda CR-V reviews

2014 Honda CR-V Reviews

Basic Transportation By Tacosell

This CRV made a good $300 lease. When its over I will have 16K on it and buy sell it outright for more than the residual which is based on 36K miles. I would not lease another Honda. Boring uninspirin... Read More

Read all 2014 Honda CR-V reviews

2013 Honda CR-V Reviews

Well Built Car If Not A Little Expensive For The Ex-l Trim By jessed75

Nice car overall. Honda generally doesn't go on the cheap for anything, but you do pay for it. Maybe I just got ripped off by my dealer, because I saw my same car elsewhere for $2000 less a few mont... Read More

Excellent Overall Empty Nester Car By Tgodbold47

Typical Honda reliability. I particularly like the AWD feature. Even though we are in Florida, it definitely gives a sure-footed ness in heavy rain and crosswind conditions. I anticipate it would b... Read More

Read all 5 2013 Honda CR-V reviews

2012 Honda CR-V Reviews

Love My Car By boydc

Love my Cr-v, there is no way i would have chosen another car even if i could go back and buy all over again. I try to take good care of it and keep it looking great at all times! Read More

What I Expect From A Honda. By MichaelOrch12

This new design is much more refined , has Bluetooth , Navigation and rear camera. I hope it will be as reliable as the 2006 we are selling. Long term we shall see how the Electronics hold up. It is n... Read More

Read all 5 2012 Honda CR-V reviews

2011 Honda CR-V Reviews

Classic Design, Reliable Engine And Cost Effective By vijaygadiraju

It always hold its value and very less maintenance. I never had issues with the car and Honda makes are always reliable. Great built and good 4 wheel drive that helped me drive in any weather conditio... Read More

Honda Crv-lx By gopi87

Build quality is great, Reliability is amazing, Maintenance is low and gas mileage is about 23 mpg with 50/50 city and highway driving. The one complaint is the acceleration, but then again that i... Read More

Read all 7 2011 Honda CR-V reviews

People researching a 1998 Honda CR-V contacted a dealer about

Honda CR-V
Toyota RAV4
Honda Civic
Honda Accord
CR-V
Looking for a Used CR-V in your area?
CarGurus has 44,459 nationwide CR-V listings starting at $2,495.