Sign in | Register | My account |

1998 Audi A4 User Reviews

1998 Audi A4 Review Ratings

• Review your car

• Performance:4 out of 5 stars4 out of 5 stars4 out of 5 stars4 out of 5 stars4 out of 5 stars 4 / 5
  • Appearance:4.3 out of 5 stars4.3 out of 5 stars4.3 out of 5 stars4.3 out of 5 stars4.3 out of 5 stars 4.3 / 5
  • Build Quality:4.3 out of 5 stars4.3 out of 5 stars4.3 out of 5 stars4.3 out of 5 stars4.3 out of 5 stars 4.3 / 5
  • Overall: 4.4 out of 5 stars4.4 out of 5 stars4.4 out of 5 stars4.4 out of 5 stars4.4 out of 5 stars 4.4 / 5

PROS
"handling" 17 reviews
"comfortable car" 10 reviews
CONS
"expensive car" 12 reviews
"high maintenance" 10 reviews
"heavy car" 4 reviews

Displaying 1 - 10 of 52 1998 Audi A4 reviews.

Allen402 writes:
1998 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro Review
Overall:

Pros

Performance, handling, comfort, highly capable in snow.

Cons

Cost of upkeep and repair.  Timing belt failure rate early on.

Great Car! High Maintenance Though. — This has by far been the most capable, most satisfying, and most technologically advanced vehicle I have ever owned. It is solid, well thought out and very well built. However, keeping it in top condition is not cheap. This is a maintenance intensive car, and while most parts are reasonable in price, the overall cost of frequent maintenance and service can be quite expensive. The 1.8 Turbo engine has been troublesome to Audi. The original timing belt change interval was reduced from 90,000 miles, to 60,000 miles by Audi after numerous belt failures resulted in destroyed engines. Unfortunately, mine was part of that number. Thankfully I had a good warranty and a VERY good dealership (Carousel Audi in Minneapolis). This car is a blast to drive. Very solid on the road. And with the AWD, the car has excellent grip in rain and snow (it's outstanding in snow), and it even resists pulling out of the lane when the wheels on only one side of the car hit water puddles. Overall I would recommend Audi and the A4. Just be aware of the cost of ownership and if you own a car with the 1.8 Turbo engine... have your timing belt changed regularly without fail!

A4
Looking for a Used A4 in your area?
CarGurus has 10,692 nationwide A4 listings starting at $3,200.
Steve writes:
Overall:

Pros

Solid, no-nonsense German engineering, surprisingly roomy trunk, quattro AWD, nimble handling, very smooth highway ride, DIY maintanence not bad

Cons

Limited space in the back seat, repairs requiring a specialty shop are frequent and expensive, short gearing (70 mph = 3000+ rpm in 5th on the highway) contributes to less-than-stellar mileage on the highway

This Car Is A Tank, If You Can Pay For It — I "inheirited" this car when I was 18 years old. This was my mother's car since new, and he didnt want her commuting in a then-7-year-old car with 104,000 miles. So for her 50th birthday, he bought her a Mini Cooper S (which, by the way, is fantastic to drive). I took over this car, and my previous car, my beloved 1987 Jeep Wrangler, went back to my cousin because the insurance cost was unbelievably high. I had been driving this car since I was a junior in high school because, before I got the Jeep, this was usually the car I drove because my older sister had priority over the car that we shared. I learned how to drive stick, and she didn't, so I would always get to borrow Mom's car. She's a beautiful 1998 Audi A4 2.8 Quattro that my parents bought new when we moved back to the US from France. My mom wanted a stick shift, and my dad wanted AWD, a combination that was exclusively provided by Audi in the late 1990s. The 2.8-litre V6 engine was updated that year, going from a single-overhead-camshaft (12-valve) configuration to a dual-overhead-camshaft with 5-valves-per-cylinder (for a total of 30 valves) and variable valve timing, which boosted output from 172 to 190 horsepower. This particular Audi was bought off the lot of Pray Audi in Greenwich, CT and came equipped with a standard 5-speed manual transmission. Optional extras included: leather interior, 6-disc CD changer, and optional Hibiscus Red Mica metallic paint. All for $30k. You can't buy a base FWD A4 for that nowadays. It also came with a free 3 year/50,000 miles service plan which included a loaner car, which is also something Audi doesn't offer anymore. Now, 10 years (and 9 Northeast winters) later, the car is still with us. It's a tick shy of 130,000 miles, and as a testament to its German engineering, it still feels very much as solid as day 1: not a squeak or rattle can be heard on the road, unlike the various American and Japanese cars that I drive at my place of employment (Enterprise Rent-a-Car). This is surprising given the fact that for the first 104,000 miles, the car was beat on by my mother; thankfully, the Mini hasn't been driven all that much to have been given such a beating. It has also taught both me and my brother how to drive stick, and is still on its original clutch, which is surprising given that its an AWD car with 130,000 miles. More praise can be extended to the interior, which is simple and remains in original condition with routine cleaning. The all-weather quattro system attributes to nimble handling in most conditions, and is very handy in the snow. The highway ride is spot-on: it rides like a bigger A6 (it has the standard suspension). It surprisingly has handled the many roadtrips we've thrown at it, and is a very comfortable traveller. Now, my relationship with the car hasn't always been filled with sunshine. Because of the car's rough history with my mother, when I inheirited the car, it came with a faulty Mass-air-flow sensor, something that has been replaced on the car 3 times since I've taken over it. The wheel bearings are an Audi sore-spot, and despite having replaced the rears at 90,000 miles, they are once again beginning to make noise not even 40,000 miles later. This past fall, there was a major service done at 126,000 miles where the technicians diagnosed many oil leaks (among other things), and recommended that the car have a valve job done because it was burning oil. The other repairs were too expensive, so the valve job was not done. The exhaust system has a few leaks here and there, but the rest of the system is still in good condition. DIY maintenance has been fairly decent: due to Audi's notoriety amongst driving enthusiasts for having its engine mounted forward of the front axle, the oil drain plug and filter are conveniently located right behind the bumper. Other nitpicks: performance has decreased noticeably in 10 years (can't keep up with my friend's 2000 BMW 528i which has similar power, more weight, and an automatic tranny), trim panels have started to fall off (which i've noticed happens to other A4s of the same vintage), electronic gremlins (seat belt/headlight warning buzzer stopped working so I sometimes leave my lights on; radio works intermittently, sunroof pops open sometimes). Overall, I appreciate the car for what it is. My parents have picked up the maintenance tab; I otherwise wouldn't be able to afford this car. From a personal standpoint, I need a car that's rugged and simple to work on (ie cheap), something that I won't worry about when I haul all my gear around or tow a 500 lb. race car, or carry a couple kegs (hey, I'm a college student). This car is too nice (even at 10 years old) to be able to do any of that, which is why a Jeep Liberty or Wrangler is more appropriate for me. But if I had a legit job, or needed to impress people, then this car is tremendous value, if you don't abuse it and you're able to pay attention to the upkeep.

Javier writes:
1998 Audi A4 1.8T Review
Overall:

Pros

Fun to drive, gas mileage, handling

Cons

Reliability

Fun Little Run-about W/great Gas Mileage — I loved this car at the time, but get past 50,000 miles and it's a repair nightmare. Suspention, sunroof, electronics

Justin writes:
Overall:

Pros

Fun, beautiful

Cons

REPAIR COST AND FUEL CONSUMPTION

Amazing Car — The performance was decent for a car of its size, being that is was a smaller sedan, with a rather large 2.8l V6. It braked very well, although there was quite a bit of brake dust that always ruined the rims appearance. Handled like a dream took corner going 50 like it was nothing. The build quality was solid, but the car was 10years old and had quite a few mechanical problems, We put about 12,000 in in it repairs. The looks of the car were amazing and the interior still lived up to the Audi name even after all those years. Gas mileage however was about 14.4mpg. But all in all the car was a beautiful driver and loved to preform. I would probably recommend it however i would make sure the are aware of the cost of repair

1993jesusG writes:
Overall:

Pros

The handling on this car is incredible

Cons

none yet

1993jesusG

Its A Great Car Overall — This car is a really comfortable car. Its not the best in acceleration but it performs well. driving at high speeds the car is real steady. I haven't spent any big bucks on it yet. and without any apperance mods the car still draws some eyes with a nice wash and wax.

David writes:
Overall:

Pros

Once you go Audi you will not go back.

Cons

Cost of ownership is high but it is worth it.

I Want Another. — The Audi Quattro system is second to none. I spent the entire winter in the Rocky Mountains and drove though all weather conditions. The interior styling is all quality with fine leather and wood grain. On long drives you never experience fatigue because the seats are so comfortable and supportive. Off the line acceleration is not too impressive but there is plenty of power. At highway speed there enough power to overtake most cars. I have always been a big fan of the German design both on asthetics and engineering. Not one thing is missing in this car. There are automatic windows all the way around not just the driver. Climate control is very effective and keeps everyone comfortable.

Craig writes:
Overall:

Pros

quattro AWD, decent acceleration, great Audi interior (as expected)

Cons

I can't say reliability because it never left me stranded, but wear-and-tear items seemed to wear and tear more often than usual if you're on a budget

Quattro Power! — Overall it was a very good car. I bought it with 140k on the clock and traded it in with 180k for a newer 3-Series. However there were tons of suspension issues ranging from control arms to tie rods to shocks and springs (front and rear for those last two). Power was decent (more than my new 325!) and the low-end torque was pretty good as well. Best part? quattro!! (see picture). That thing was never bothered by even 6 inches of snow on the roads where I live. Usually averaged around 22-23 mpg combined. Personally I think it is a great looking car for 1998 and it held up well to my continued abuse. I also loved the clutch... perfect take-up and feel for heel-toe downshifts.

Craig writes:
Overall:

Pros

Power, comfort, handling, looks

Cons

Back seat is too small

Audi A4 2.7tq — Anyone who knows me, knows that cars are my passion. You wont find a more perfect blend of performance and handling for New England Weather. 335hp. All wheel drive. 6-speed. 0-60 in 5 seconds. Top speed over 160mph. All this capability, as well as being capable of getting 26mpg on the highway(if you can stay out of boost). I have built it like I want it...but the interior and body are still relatively the same.

mattysull writes:
Overall:

Pros

Exhaust sound (30v model), Beautiful styling, interior is lux and very well put together, quattro is great in all weather, rust resistant galvanizing, driving feel is sporty

Cons

Expensive parts, expensive labor, control arms and wheel bearings wear out more often than other vehicles, oil leaks, MPG

mattysull

Currently Best Of The 6 Cars I've Owned — I'm going to hit the bad stuff first before ranting on and on about how awesome of a car Audi made. It takes a certain kind of person to drive an Audi. This person CANNOT be afraid to fix things themselves and never slips on maintenance. The A4 is a sporty lux car that can handle most driving situations and the drive must have a willingness to pay/fix whats wrong for that driving experience. That said, the parts are more expensive than any of my VWs. Have money for shop costs or fix it yourself like I do. I did control arms for $500, ignition switch for $30, sunroof randomly opening fixed with some common sense. Same with the oil leaks on the valve covers, $30 in parts 2 hrs and a couple of beers and it was done. I replaced some wear& tear items like rear pads & rotors for $150. I consider fixing/modifying cars my hobby so I enjoy this type of work but if you don't, put aside $1000-1500 a year for maintenance. Along the same note, if fixing yourself, try to buy OEM parts and not Autozone or discount parts because I've found especially with Audi they are sub-par at best. Meyle is an alternative that is cheaper and makes quality products, FEBI too. The sticker on this car in 1998 said $28,000. I don't know what idiot paid that but I thank them for their bottomless wallets and their wishes for mid-level Audis because this is the best car I have ever owned. Driving feel: This car feels like a jelly donut strapped to a go-kart. The suspension is very tight with little body roll but takes on uneven roads, bumps and small bumps with the grace of Bull Russell heading to the basket. In the snow it is very easy to get the back end out if you so wish but the turn in leads to a fair amount of understeer like a FWD car. I would consider this to have a understeer-to-neutral driving characteristic which is very safe for most situations. The Quattro really keeps everything planted and coming from FWD cars it is really noticeable in the turns the significance of the powered rear wheels. The brakes are great in this car, not much else to be said about that, disks all round. The acceleration is good and the AWD helps with that. This car is extremely fun to drive and although it is a pig in terms of its weight and probably a little underpowered it is still a sporty ride thanks to the suspension, Quattro and torque of the V6. Interior: Probably my favorite part of this car is the well thought out interior. Everything seems so solid and tight, nothing is loose, nothing rattles, the leather is supple, the dash is clean, the wood trim is classy and the radio is a POS I replaced with something akin to everything else. The dash lights are a nice red color. I like the oil temp & battery gauges too. The cup holders suck so don't be upset if your extra large diet coke (you're on a diet) doesn't fit in the holders or spills on your muffin top causing ants to make a nest betwix your tender rolls. Where was I, yes the trunk is a decent size with a ski bag that will fit your 5-foot submarine sandwich. Exterior: The styling of this car is fantastic. It is the type of car that I find myself turning around and admiring while walking into a wall outside the grocery store. Nobody has guessed it was a 98, they always guess 2000-2006. The body lines are boxy but the car is still a little bubbly like newer cars, a very classic style in my opinion. Engine: The engine is a wonderful 2.8L 5 valves per-cylinder sixer unit that puts out something like 200hp & TQ. The 5 valves really help it to breath better and it can be felt all through the RPM range. It is a very reliable and sporty feeling engine that could benefit from some stiffer engine mounts to better put that power down, I'd recommend it and it doesnt rattle much either. The exhaust note is a great sound with performance exhaust but if stock you can sort of hear a muffled version of the tamed beast. One thing you can expect with the 6cylinder is a decrease in MPG and with AWD you can expect even less since you are losing to friction forces on the highway because there are 4 drive wheels. Brush up on some Newtonian physics if that doesn't make any sense in your sandwich receptacle. Personally I get about 340 miles per tank, or around 24.5MPG. I use an app called fuelly and have about 30 tanks recorded so you can take that with some seriousness. Expect 23-25MPG. I do find that in stop & go traffic I get about 26MPG which probably has something to do with my driving style of "eff traffic I'm going to sleep" and that 4 drive wheels thing I was talking about. All wheel drive: Its Quattro, if you don't know what it is or even for a second considered a FWD audi you can go ahead and have your mind blown or continue watching Fox news with your Dad. Quattro probably isn't the best AWD system but it is damn good and I'd be surprised if it wasn't top 3 in the AWD world. They only time you will get stuck is if you are beached, aka 4 wheels are spinning and the belly of the car is holding all the weight...much like Honey Bo-Bo's mother, Sugar Bo-Bo. Quattro is awesome and it's powers have only partially been realized. If you are in Arizona and don't get snow, consider the fact that Quattro completely changes the way the car handles for the better in every condition...and then buy it. For those of you who don't know: Front wheel drive Audis are expensive passats. Not only will you catch flak from Audi people but people with Passats will know that they are smarter than you having spent less for the same product...That wasn't a joke. A 4motion(Quattro under a different name..no mechanical difference) passat is more of an Audi than a front wheel drive Audi. ex. 2000 Passat 4motion Engine: 2.8L 30v, same engine in an Audi Drivetrain: 4motion, exactly the same as Quattro. Just a different name. Interior: extremely similar to Audi interior with less quality Exterior: The base for the Audi A4 was taken from the Passat. Deal with that. Cost: much cheaper for the same(mechanically speaking) car. I would've bought one had I not found such a great deal on this Audi. Additional Notes; The bodymetal is galvanized on both sides which makes it very resistant to rust. Here in Boston area this is a must. My 98 VW with lesser rust protection literally rusted away with holes all over the place. The same year Audi I currently own does not have rust on any body parts. Some of the unprotected steel parts in the suspension are rusty but not like my VW.

Adesina writes:
1998 Audi A4 1.8T Review
Overall:

Pros

Handling is great

Cons

Expensive

Amazing? ...find Out! — Very dependable and fun to handle. Good for a 'speed racer' combined with fuel efficiency. Though expensive when compared with cars in its range, but value for your money is guaranteed. the interior is fine especially the dash board and the AC system

Displaying 1 - 10 of 52 1998 Audi A4 reviews.

Review your car

2013 Audi A4 Reviews

Sexy Car By drumrdame

Nice, good car, German make, tinted, sporty look, great name, reliable, easy drive, good air conditioning, good sound, cute for a single or new couple. Car seat fits, but maybe not too ideal for a fam... Read More

I Love This Car A Lot More Than I Should By ajovan01

Overall, I really like this vehicle. Styling, features, ride, it's the complete package. It's not a family sedan, but a wonderful car to hit the road and enjoy the ride. I primarily use it to commu... Read More

Read all 5 2013 Audi A4 reviews

2012 Audi A4 Reviews

Amazing Car, Best Balance Of Work And Play By DrAwesome

This car has everything I want in a car. It is very comfortable, it has a good amount of room (even with a 6'3" driver), it has power when you want it and gas economy to boot. I can get 37 mpg on th... Read More

Read all 2012 Audi A4 reviews

2011 Audi A4 Reviews

Bold Beautiful Yet Quiet And Smooth. By Ocnamor1

I recommend to anyone who wants a beautiful looking performance vehicle. Its quiet, powerful, fuel efficient, well tailored inside, nicely sculpted outside. Engine is smooth and powerful. Brakes are e... Read More

Great Car By pgobertjr

The car is just like new and gets great gas mileage and has great pick up from 0-60 you cannot ask for more with the gas mileage and type of car and how it perform's, Also great family car and also gr... Read More

Read all 5 2011 Audi A4 reviews

2010 Audi A4 Reviews

Solid Ride By Audi201014

This is my third Audi and I'm sure it won't be my last. Living in the Northeast AWD is a must and no one does it better the Audi. If you are looking for a 4 passenger car this the A4 might not be the ... Read More

Great Car For Commuting To Work And For Family. By Cathy

I like Audi A4. It has great power and beautiful exterior. Quite reliable for daily commute. Good for family as well. Long trip? Not even a problem. You will never feel boring while driving this car. ... Read More

Read all 8 2010 Audi A4 reviews

2009 Audi A4 Reviews

Its A Nice Driving Machine, And Sexy Too. By lilmonkey

I love the seats too, its a good little people's car, it fits me. - Wish it had a little more cargo room but that is the trade off for the top. I think it looks really sharp and I get a lot of complim... Read More

I Love The Seats Too, Its A Good Little People's Car, It Fits Me. By lilmonkey

Wish it had a little more cargo room but that is the trade off for the top. I think it looks really sharp and I get a lot of compliments on it. It is also tons of fun with the top down. Read More

Read all 24 2009 Audi A4 reviews

People researching a 1998 Audi A4 contacted a dealer about

1998 Audi A4 4 Dr 1.8T Turbo Sedan picture, exterior
Audi A4
Volkswagen Passat
BMW 3 Series
Jeep Wrangler
A4
Looking for a Used A4 in your area?
CarGurus has 10,692 nationwide A4 listings starting at $3,200.