fuel pump or drive shaft sensor?

Asked by Nov 30, 2009 at 09:09 AM about the 2002 Saturn VUE V6 AWD

Initially, I was driving and it quit and would not start. Starter fluid got it started and got me home. Now starter fluid no longer gets it going when it shuts off.

Now,starts and runs idle for about 15 mins. then shuts off. If I let it sit for an hour or so it will start and, again, idle for about 15 min., shut off and repeat the above.

I have been told it is the fuel pump and that it could be the crank shaft sensor.

How do I tell?

155

Easiest way to tell is whether or not the car has a CEL (check engine light) illuminated. If it does, chances are it's not your fuel pump. That doesn't guarantee that it is your Crankshaft Position Sensor though... there are several other things it could be. If you can limp (or tow) the car to your local Autozone, they can scan the engine codes for free. If you can't get it there and you do have a check engine light on, I highly suggest going to Autozone and renting the "Scan tool" they have so that you can read the check engine codes. It'll cost you $200ish (it may be much cheaper in your area) but you'll get a full refund when you bring the tool back. Just remember to write down the 5-digit codes (They'll be "PXXXX", in the top right corner of the scan tool screen) and whether or not it says "Pending" when you take the scan tool back. Autozone can look them up for you on their computers. ;] On the flip side, if you don't have a check engine light, go rent Autozone's Fuel Pressure Test Kit and check your fuel pressure. (Directions will come with it.) That'll tell you whether it's your fuel pump. It's possible that you have a very clogged fuel filter or some very clogged injectors. If you use ethanol fuel or cheap fuel, (wal-mart gas, ez mart gas... etc) it's very likely both your fuel filter and injectors are full of trash.

90

Hi there, I need to replace the outer CV boot on my L/H drive shaft, I have read the gregorys manual how to do it and its a real pain, is there any easy way to do it without taking out the whole drive shaft and relay shaft from the car? I have the shaft removed from the hub, is there a way to remove the CV joint from the drive shaft while its still in the car? thanks in advance.