Why is the alternator output so high after the car first starts?

Asked by Jan 06, 2015 at 10:58 AM about the 2003 Saturn ION Base

I have a 2003 saturn ion.  The alternator went out on it and I replaced it.  Now when I
start the car all some of the electrical parts (climate control, power steering, radio,
dash lights etc.) power off a couple of seconds after starting.  When the car warms up
they all come back on.  When everything is off the voltage output from the alternator is
around 19 volts, after warm up it is 14 volts.  I think the voltage is too high causing the
electrical to not work.  Why is the alternator output so high after the car first starts?

10

Did you figure this out yet? I haven't checked my cold voltage yet but my 03 ion has the exact same problem.

Hey I have the same problem in my 03 ion. has anyone found the issue?

Same issue on my 05.ion. Any solutions found?

Just had this problem. My mechanic tells me it's a well known problem with after market alternators. Need to replace with a good quality alternator. Hope that helps.